Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Master in Economics for Business background

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Master in Economics for Business background

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a Master in Economics but my background was in Business (Marketing and Accounting). I have some universities in my mind but not sure of my chance to get into. Please help to evaluate my profile.PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: Large Australian public university, top 250 world wide
    Undergrad GPA: 3.1/4.0 (top 10%). Top 3 marketing students
    Type of Grad: Large UK university, not highly ranked
    Grad GPA: Distinction (~75%). Class ranking is not available
    GRE: Q165/ V155/ AW 4.0
    Math Courses: not much. UG Statistics (83/100), Optimization theory course from a research center (mark unavailable yet)
    Econ Courses (grad-level): None
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Microeconomics (76/100), Macroeconomics (80/100)
    Other Courses: not much related to maths/econs
    Letters of Recommendation: 2 good but from marketing lecturers (1 from grad and 1 from undergrad)
    Research Experience: working in quantitative team at Nielsen. Mainly do market research. Not R&D department
    SOP: Quite good
    Concerns: I would like to secure a place in Master Econs from a good university. I have no geographical constraints. However, I'm not sure if any good university admits students with little econ/math background.

Applying to:

• Cambridge U (Advanced Diploma in Eco),
    • LSE (2-year MSc Econ),
    • Sciences Po (MSc Econ),
    • Bocconi (MSc Econ & Social Sciences),
    • SSE (MSc Econ),
    • U of Sydney (MSc Econ),
    • Columbia (MA Econ).

I guess most of the above schools are dream-schools for me. I also consider other alternatives to get into these. Does Graduate Diploma in Econ from University of London help? Any ideas about it?

Thank you.

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Master in Economics for Business background

Masters in econ in the UK without undergrad in econ is a mission impossible. You might give it a go, but I don't think you have big chances, frankly speaking. I'd encourage you to apply to the US as they will show much more understanding if you explain your case properly. Another possibility is to do a diploma in econ in the UK, but it will be expensive and it will give little bargaining power for PhD applications if you are planning to choose this path.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by greg3 View Post
    Masters in econ in the UK without undergrad in econ is a mission impossible. You might give it a go, but I don't think you have big chances, frankly speaking. I'd encourage you to apply to the US as they will show much more understanding if you explain your case properly. Another possibility is to do a diploma in econ in the UK, but it will be expensive and it will give little bargaining power for PhD applications if you are planning to choose this path.
    Don't think that's true at all - you might need to do a one year diploma before starting the masters, but I know people who have an undergrad in, for example, Music or French and German, who have then gone on to get a decent masters in economics.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by greg3 View Post
    Thanks for your rep. I tried to look for a Master in US but the majority of them require certain background in Economics. I think doing an Diploma in the UK is more suitable for me at the moment because it is hard to directly get into a Master in Economics with background like me.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Rohanps View Post
    Don't think that's true at all - you might need to do a one year diploma before starting the masters, but I know people who have an undergrad in, for example, Music or French and German, who have then gone on to get a decent masters in economics.
    I'm also thinking of doing a year of diploma first and then continue the Master. Do you get any idea about the diploma at Cambridge or LSE? Even I did well in business, do I get a chance to get into these schools?

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

What is your goal? Are you sure that an econ master's is the best way to get there?

Good post? Yes | No

If your goal is to enter into the labor market after your master's degree in economics then you can look into this program: Master in Industrial Econmics and Markets, UC3M - they encourage people from business and engineering background to apply for this program.

Thread Information