See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UMass Amherst--Job prospects after attending heterodox program

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

UMass Amherst--Job prospects after attending heterodox program

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello all,

I am interested in the program at UMass Amherst and wonder what you think of job prospects after attending such a university. The placement that they show on their website seems relatively good--Howard, Duke, Oxford, etc. I am interested in a job as a professor.

Can you give your ideas below?

Thanks,
    Lindsey

Good post? Yes | No

Re: UMass Amherst--Job prospects after attending heterodox program

Why would you consider attending a heterodox program?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Don't apply there. Based on your last thread I don't think you know the difference between heterodox vs mainstream well enough to go to UMass.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

It's a parallel case to studying homeopathy instead of medicine, so you should really think twice.

Eager!

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by greg3 View Post
    It's a parallel case to studying homeopathy instead of medicine, so you should really think twice.
    This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read on here.

I'd explain to you why, but it's entirely hopeless because you most probably lack the background in natural science and philosophy to realize even what you yourself just said. Here's a tip: don't make sweeping claims about disciplines you know nothing about.

Not trying to be rude, but the arrogance in this post is too overwhelming to be ignored.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read on here.

I'd explain to you why, but it's entirely hopeless because you most probably lack the background in natural science and philosophy to realize even what you yourself just said. Here's a tip: don't make sweeping claims about disciplines you know nothing about.

Not trying to be rude, but the arrogance in this post is too overwhelming to be ignored.
    I know very well what heterodox thought is and it's my personal opinion that I presented. I don't think that a person passionate about economics should consider a heterodox program without knowing what it actually is, and it's important to make people aware that the difference is substantial.

Let's say if the OP is passionate about maths and formal theory, they will be very miserable attending such a school. That's why I tried to draw a clear line so that they don't think that schools like that can provide training that one might expect.

Eager!

Quote Originally Posted by greg3 View Post
    I know very well what heterodox thought is and it's my personal opinion that I presented. I don't think that a person passionate about economics should consider a heterodox program without knowing what it actually is, and it's important to make people aware that the difference is substantial.

Let's say if the OP is passionate about maths and formal theory, they will be very miserable attending such a school. That's why I tried to draw a clear line so that they don't think that schools like that can provide training that one might expect.
    If OP is interested in micro theory then he should notice that Umass has no theorists in the department (as far as I can see from a brief look).

The analogy of homeopathy:medicine to heterodox:mainstream econ is what I had a problem with. You seem to have made this analogy without intending all its implications, which is understandable. Nonetheless, it is a bad analogy. I can't recommend for or against doing heterodox econ, but I can certainly argue over misconceptions of mainstream econ (parts of it at least, that I have been studying), and this analogy tripped a wire. To be fair, Jean Triole and Dani Rodrik also have tripped this wire, so you may think of me as being extremely arrogant myself - but I am confident in what I've said.

Good post? Yes | No

Hi all,

Thank you for your opinions and advice. Iím very interested in the course load at UMass as I see it as offering different perspectives to mainstream, neoclassical economics. Also, Iím interested in getting a wide education that is somewhat more applied, as Iím a little tired of theory stuff that doesnít seem to match reality for me. My main interests are in urban and regional economics, as well as public and political economy. I understand that I need more research on heterodox schools, but I am interested in UMass and came here for some assistance on that. Could any of you provide some more direction for me? Could you let me know how you think my education might differ at a heterodox school? Thank you in advance.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by lindseybuck95 View Post
    Hi all,

Thank you for your opinions and advice. I’m very interested in the course load at UMass as I see it as offering different perspectives to mainstream, neoclassical economics. Also, I’m interested in getting a wide education that is somewhat more applied, as I’m a little tired of theory stuff that doesn’t seem to match reality for me. My main interests are in urban and regional economics, as well as public and political economy. I understand that I need more research on heterodox schools, but I am interested in UMass and came here for some assistance on that. Could any of you provide some more direction for me? Could you let me know how you think my education might differ at a heterodox school? Thank you in advance.

Check the faculty's interests and recent dissertations of students and see whether this is what you'd like to do.

Within my grasp!

Lindsey, heterodox programs are not for people like you. You must be absolutely certain that this is what you want to do.

Also, for greg3, comparing heterodox to mainstream economics as homeopathy to medicine is patently absurd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information