Urch Forums

Applying for masters without grades in Economics courses

cp9290

This is my third post here. You guys have been very helpful so far so thanks a lot.

I hold a physics degree from a British university and I want to apply for masters programs. I'm currently doing a one-year Graduate Diploma in Economics which has some intermediate-level economics courses.

My concern is that I will not have any grades for my diploma courses before August 2018. So if I apply now, my application will be judged purely on the basis of my physics and maths grades in my undergrad. On top of that, my references will all be from physics professors. I haven't even contacted them yet and they have no idea that I have planned on jumping ship to economics. They'll probably write very weak letters since they won't have anything concrete to say about my ability to do well in economics, except that I'm good with maths.

Do you think I should wait a year before applying for masters so that I have the grades for my diploma? If not, what are some good masters programs in Europe, US or Canada which aren't that competitive and are likely to accept me?

• 3 weeks later...
If you are applying for a masters program, I think you will be fine as long as you have taken the basic pre-requisite classes. It's fine for letters from physics professors to attest to your math ability, willingness to work hard, etc. Can't you ask for a letter from one of your economics instructors? It's fine if you don't have a grade yet.

I didn't have any courses in economics in my undergrad and the diploma I'm doing now is distance-learning, I haven't been taught by any economics professors. I emailed a few universities and they said that if I do get an offer it'll be a conditional one so it's probably alright.

If you got a devent First in your bachelor's, BGSE and Bocconi are viable places to get into, provided that your letters can attest to your academic aptitude as a student and willingness to work hard. I know this since I got into those programmes last year from an Accounting and Finance programme with only 2 math classes taken during undergrad.

You can also try PSE's APE programme. Apply for M1.