Urch Forums

Do you know anybody with low GRE Verbal score who was admitted

Linea

Hi guys!

Me and my friend have low verbal score. We know that verbal is not that important, yet our %tile is even lower than 30 & 40, that is why we wondered what are your experiences on that issue?

Do you know anyone who was admitted to a good school ? If you do, how other qualifications of that person was like?

Need to hear good things.

Thank you for any comments.

Verbal is not that important if you are a native English speaker such that your school qualifies you to be exempt from Toefl. This isn't true for foreigners (from what I've heard).

Also, when people say that its not important it means a low score like maybe 154-160. They aren't talking about 140's, which is very low.

Verbal is not that important if you are a native English speaker such that your school qualifies you to be exempt from Toefl. This isn't true for foreigners (from what I've heard).

Also, when people say that its not important it means a low score like maybe 154-160. They aren't talking about 140's, which is very low.

Thank you for your reply!

Then we need to take the exam again.

I don't understand how 160 can be a low score.. I know many people with verbal score of 152 (or similar scores), and got into a good program.

Edited by Linea

Thank you for your reply!

Then we need to take the exam again.

I don't understand how 160 can be a low score.. I know many people with verbal score of 152 (or similar scores), and got into a good program.

If you get a score of 150 and higher, you'll do just fine for non-native speakers. You can demonstrate your written ability through your statement of purpose. Make sure you get people to read through and correct for any grammatical mistakes and coherence of ideas. Anything lower will raise a red flag, since it's not terribly hard to get 150+ for Verbal for non-native speakers.

Or, you could just take the TOEFL and do very well in it to compensate for the low verbal. However, chances are, you won't be able to do well in the TOEFL if you can't manage even a 150 for Verbal.

The reason they're a stickler about it is because they expect you to TA during your 5 years with them. For that, your spoken form needs to be at least comprehensible. Yes, I know that the written form and verbal form of English varies significantly, but there's no concrete way to test for the verbal form. Hence, they use the GRE Verbal score as a proxy.

If you get a score of 150 and higher, you'll do just fine for non-native speakers. You can demonstrate your written ability through your statement of purpose. Make sure you get people to read through and correct for any grammatical mistakes and coherence of ideas. Anything lower will raise a red flag, since it's not terribly hard to get 150+ for Verbal for non-native speakers.

Or, you could just take the TOEFL and do very well in it to compensate for the low verbal. However, chances are, you won't be able to do well in the TOEFL if you can't manage even a 150 for Verbal.

The reason they're a stickler about it is because they expect you to TA during your 5 years with them. For that, your spoken form needs to be at least comprehensible. Yes, I know that the written form and verbal form of English varies significantly, but there's no concrete way to test for the verbal form. Hence, they use the GRE Verbal score as a proxy.

Thank you tutonic!

I could not manage 150 in verbal. Yet My toefl results are very well, all of them are above the 25.

So do you think there is a hope?

All my profs are saying I should not retake it because my toefl is fine and my quant is awesome.

But I do not know, that is why I wanted to ask you guys before all deadlines ends.

Thank you tutonic!

I could not manage 150 in verbal. Yet, my toefl results are very well, all of them are above 25.

So do you think there is a hope?

All my profs are saying I should not retake it because my toefl is fine and my quant is awesome.

But I do not know, that is why I wanted to ask you guys before all deadlines end.

Edited by Linea

What exactly is your v/q/AW gre score? If you've gotten 130+ for verbal, it can be seen as worrying. The good toefl score might help allay some concerns but I suppose it doesn't hurt to sit for it again, if time permits. It's getting awfully close to deadlines.

Most schools list 50+ percentile for non native speakers.

What exactly is your v/q/AW gre score? If you've gotten 130+ for verbal, it can be seen as worrying. The good toefl score might help allay some concerns but I suppose it doesn't hurt to sit for it again, if time permits. It's getting awfully close to deadlines.

Most schools list 50+ percentile for non native speakers.

144/170/3.5

I will talk with my professors tomorrow and maybe I will apply some schools next year.

I can not take the exam soon, because I do not have time to prepare for it. I may increase my verbal now, there is a risk of decreasing my quant.

144/170/3.5

I will talk with my professors tomorrow and maybe I will apply some schools next year.

I can not take the exam soon, because I do not have time to prepare for it. I may increase my verbal now, there is a risk of decreasing my quant.

144V doesn't seem terribly low. You should speak to your professors about it. I think you should just apply to a couple schools that are to your liking this round just to feel out the competition (and also to know where which schools you are competitive at), given that you're satisfied with all other aspects of your application. I'm sure others on here will agree.