Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What track should I take?

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Re: What track should I take?

Sponsored Ad:
    Have you considered business PhDs? Your MBA and work experience will be of some value and you can do research within many subfields of economics, depending on the business field you choose.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Yes, YaSvoboden, I have considered them.
    But I think they are much more seletive, since only 3 or 4 people are admited each year.
    I would like concentrate in financial economics. But I can find something more interesting in the way...
    In my mind, economics programs have more room to accept an exotical applicant. I can be wrong...
    Thanks

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Softway View Post
    But I think they are much more seletive, since only 3 or 4 people are admited each year.
    I would like concentrate in financial economics. But I can find something more interesting in the way...
    In my mind, economics programs have more room to accept an exotical applicant. I can be wrong...
    Thanks
    You are mistaken. The econs PhD admission process doesn't necessarily allow for exotic applicants, barring the occasional few.

Your MBA and experience can be an asset if you were to pursue a business PhD. While it is true that admission into finance programmes of comparative standards are more competitive, at the very least, you can make use of your work experience + MBA. Head over to the business PhD subforum for more details. We had a couple older applicants on here who gained admission into a slew of programmes last year; they are in their late 30s-early 40s if I'm not mistaken.

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks, tutonic.
    But I know some cases in economics. Its rare and probably the person should have very special skills and contacts at the departments...
    I have not seem its happen in business schools. People in their early 40 I can identify some cases, but at their late 40? Empty set until now in my research. Sad...
    Thanks again!

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks
    They are more selective, but the criteria are somewhat different. Also, the job opportunities tend to be better for finance PhDs compared to econ PhDs from the same level of school. I'm doing an accounting PhD myself. I think you should consider them.

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks, YaSvoboden.
    I will give a good look at these opportunities too.

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks, tm_member.

You understood the problem. In fact, I want to do research and teaching as adjunt teacher in my country. In terms of wage, nothing will change (my salary will be the same). Off course there are some costs, like travels with the family, that will become higher.
    The part of weakening family and romantic ties, really worried me...

But if I decide go down in this route, it is good to know that there is not a huge difference between 45 and 49.

Thanks a lot, tm_member.
    Do you want to return to your old job after the PhD? But also teach and do research as an adjunct? If so, you have no good reason to do a PhD.

It makes no sense to do 5+ years of training in order to do an additional part time job.

Good post? Yes | No

tm_member,
    World is not black or White. There are lots of others things in the middle.
    It would give me much more options inside my "company", it can works as a transition path as the retirement approaching (I do not want retire in fact but only reduce the speed). Besides that, I can teach and do research until my mind give up. My "company" has close ties with academy here in my country and some friends do research, publishing at good journals.
    As I stated at the begining language is a serious barrier in my case, but I can improve...
    Thanks

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Have you considered doing a PhD in your home country? It's true that in general American PhD programs are better. But will your job wait while you are physically gone for five or six years?

You should also think about how "good" a program you need to go to. If any American PhD will do then you will have a lot more options than if you need to go to a relatively highly ranked program.

Good post? Yes | No

I consider it almost every day. In fact I am becoming crazy and make my wife crazy too. kkkk
    The trade-off needs to be positive, what means I need a really good program to compensate the costs involved in such adventure. This is the reason I need a good preparation, good LORs etc... and my doubt of the better way of collect these things...
    My job will be waiting for me for 4 four years...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information