Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What track should I take?

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Re: What track should I take?

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by Softway View Post
    tm_member,
    World is not black or White. There are lots of others things in the middle.
    It would give me much more options inside my "company", it can works as a transition path as the retirement approaching (I do not want retire in fact but only reduce the speed). Besides that, I can teach and do research until my mind give up. My "company" has close ties with academy here in my country and some friends do research, publishing at good journals.
    As I stated at the begining language is a serious barrier in my case, but I can improve...
    Thanks
    Those options in your company are unlikely to be much different if you did a lower ranked program outside the US. US programs take at least five years in 99.99999999% of cases.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Softway, what do you mean by having studied math/econ on your own? Do you have any formal training in college-level math? Are you currently able to complete, for example, the exercises in Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis or a similar book?

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Softway View Post
    I consider it almost every day. In fact I am becoming crazy and make my wife crazy too. kkkk
    The trade-off needs to be positive, what means I need a really good program to compensate the costs involved in such adventure. This is the reason I need a good preparation, good LORs etc... and my doubt of the better way of collect these things...
    My job will be waiting for me for 4 four years...
    I just saw the above post.

Please listen to your wife.

In any case, four years is simply not enough to complete a good PhD program. It's actually not enough time for any PhD program worth doing. You should read this paper on PhD completion rates - https://dspace.mit.edu/openaccess-di...e/1721.1/73049. The paper is using data from almost a decade ago. The median for entering classes is now six years. You should assume that you will be at or above the median time given you have family and other challenges that other students do not face.

You only want to do a "good" PhD program but you are unprepared and cannot commit to the typical 6 year time frame that will take.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by chateauheart View Post
    Softway, what do you mean by having studied math/econ on your own? Do you have any formal training in college-level math? Are you currently able to complete, for example, the exercises in Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis or a similar book?
    My formal training was more than 15 years ago. I have been refreshing it and now I am finishing multivariated calculus and linear algebra. I can understand the basics of real analysis at Rudin´s level. Those six or eight classes that I spoke about at the begin include graduate level analysis and theoretical probability... Then I will have formal math to show...

It is too late to take formal undergraduate classes...

Good post? Yes | No

Dear tm_member,

I know you want help me and, in fact, you sounds like a good friend, but I will try to do the program abroad.
    My wife part was only in the sense that my doubts make she confused. But she is supportive in the case the opportunity of atend the program abroad shows up.
    The four years limit is related to the physical attendance. I can manage to conclude in 6 or more years if necessary, since it be possible prepare the thesis from my home country (returning to participate of some meetings and to defend the thesis).
    I am totally aware of my weakenesses and because of that I came to this space to ask for advice...
    I have taken the decision of go to a phd program. My A plan is to do it abroad. My B plan is to do it here in my country. I will pay the costs... Kill my marriage is not an acceptable one thought... If I feel it will be the case, the A plan will be aborted. Easy!

Thanks again!

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

You want to complete a PhD thesis while also working a non-academic job? You will never complete it.

From my experience, you have to be surrounded by active researchers and advisors to maintain the enthusiasm you need.

Please rethink your strategy here, you are risking so much for virtually no return.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tm_member View Post
    You want to complete a PhD thesis while also working a non-academic job? You will never complete it.

From my experience, you have to be surrounded by active researchers and advisors to maintain the enthusiasm you need.

Please rethink your strategy here, you are risking so much for virtually no return.
    Ok. I will analise your points seriously.

But think twice. I can not totally open my situation, for a identification question. Maybe I work at something close to a research enviroment. Maybe it will be possible I be surrounded by researchers that will help keep my focus. Not academic advisors, but competent people. Maybe it will be possible that I spend the most part of my time to conclude the thesis.
    Will it be sufficient to finish the thesis? I do no. There are lots of variables here. The field, how deep I will dive at the thesis, find an advisor with a root in reality (biased to empirical work, for example), how my skills will improve until the end of the program and much more...
    As I already told, I work 10 or more hours a day. Work hard will not a problem... I will face it as a new job and do my best...
    In my case it is not the case of a degree to find a job after, but the experience, the challenger of test my limits.
    I have tryed understand this process for a long time and have learned lots with you guys. I have a good idea of the amount of suffering does it involves... My initial question was only about the better path (the trade-off between age and preparation) and I have not decided this point yet.
    For now, I am risking only my peace and some marginal money.
    I need only a tuition waiver and that a good program accept me...
    Thanks again!

Good post? Yes | No

My case is really very idiossincratic.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

It's not idiosyncratic, it's not special. It'd just be a bad, irrational decision.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Softway,

Both tm_member and Chateauheart have a lot of experience. You ought to pay attention.

Let me make an economist type suggestion. You are talking about a huge investment. Six+ years of your life and maybe substantial money too. Why don't you spend a few grand and come to the U.S. and visit three PhD programs. Talk to the people there, especially the more senior graduate students. You can probably find programs which students from your country are currently attending. Investing a bit in information gathering might have a very high return.

PS
    Bring your wife too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information