Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What track should I take?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

What track should I take?

Sponsored Ad:
    I posted a new thead, but it did not happear...

Good post? Yes | No

Re: What track should I take?

I do not know if the first thread will appear after moderation, then I will send my question again...

I am old but I dream about study abroad. In fact I am becoming crazy with the idea of attend economics phd in a good university.

But there is a problem: I do not have the complete package. At this point I see two possible tracks.

Option 1: attend 8 phd courses at one of the best departments of South America. It is common they send people to top 10. If I adopt this path, I will apply when my age reach 45.

Option 2: take the full master degree at the same institution (the courses at master and phd are the same). Here, research experience is possible. If this route be addopted, my age will be close to 49 when I apply.

Do you see the dillema? I am old and the fast path will be full of holes in my application. The other choice will deepening my age problem...

Which do you think is the best option?

My profile:

- Business degree at a well recognized university in my country.
    - MBA at another good school here.

I am not worried about the job market question after the PHD.

I know that I need improve my skills when using English...

I will appreciate very much your opinion...

Thanks!
    Last edited by Softway; 12-02-2017 at 02:01 AM.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Can you elaborate more on the two different options you are considering? At a glance, it seems weird that option 2 will take 4 extra years.

Good post? Yes | No

Tutonic,

It seems weird, but the explanation is simple: if I take the second option I will do it under a leave in absence at my current work, but keeping my salary, when I finish I will need return to work and spend the same time before ask for a new leave in absence... My institution do a mix of research and control. But I do not do research there...

I have studying math, statistics and economics for my own.

Option 1: I will try be sucessfull at the 8 master/phd classes (almost all the economics core)... and beg to someone give me a LOR. If I do well, it can be possible.

Option 2: It is the complete master. This path is too long, but I will not have problem with the LORs and will be possible have research experience, what means better LORs, except if my age will be a problem to teachers recommends me to good programs where they have contacts. I am not saying that they need make a call or something like that to help me. I want only they give me good LORs if I deserve them based on my merits as a student during the master.

Then we came again to the question, which is better, an old sudent with a core economics master completed and almost no research experince
    or
    a super old student with a full master and some research experience (and good LORs, I expected).

Thanks a lot!

Good post? Yes | No

tutonic,
    I replied your post, but the answer is under moderation...

Good post? Yes | No

If this time my post pass, the sort answer is that I have some time constraint at my job. The full master will require a leave in absence (without lose my salary). After that, I will need return to the company for the same time before be allowed go out again to attend the phd program. Then we have 2 years (master, with the leave) plus 2 years to compensate the leave.

Good post? Yes | No

Option 1 is a load of 8 master/phd courses (almost the economics core). I can imagine no or little research experience here. Targeting 45 year old when apply.
    Option 2: a full master degree here. Standart research experience and maybe some papers in low tier journals while I wait to compensate the leave on absence.
    My formal math is for more than 15 years ago, but the subjects at the school I am talking about is math heavy and I think the adcom know this…
    But I have being study math for my own in the last two years and begin to have regrets of do not started a new undergraduated degree, in statistics for example, to test myself on war conditions and have a formal track of undergraduated courses...
    Last edited by Softway; 12-02-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Good post? Yes | No

People,
    I really need your help. Could someone do a try. Do not be worried, it is one additional elements to form my scenario about the possible routes...
    Thanks!

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Softway, it is very hard for us to understand your situation. It is laid out in multiple different posts and is not easy to read (your English is not strong, which you realize, and would be a major source of concern for US phd programs).

From what I can tell, you are over 40 years old and have a job that will allow you some time off to obtain further education - a Master's degree in your home country. However, your employer will require you to return to work for a couple of years after you complete the program (because they will be paying for your education in some way). After you have completed the required return to work, you can then leave your job and begin a PhD. If you go that route, you will be 49 years old when you begin. The alternative is to do a few classes now and apply to PhD programs much sooner. This would save you about four years because you would not have to return to your job.

This creates a trade-off between the quality of preparation and the cost and time it will take to get that preparation. Only you can evaluate this trade-off because most people on this website are in their 20s and cannot relate to your situation.

My personal opinion is that if you are (1) pursuing a PhD for your own personal goals and (2) do not care about the job market outcome afterwards then you should go with whatever option is financially cheapest. Being 45 versus 49 will not really change your admission chances.

However, I also think that both options are bad ideas. If you don't have a desire to become an active researcher in an academic position after your PhD is completed then you will neither learn from the experience nor will you gain any satisfaction from it... PhDs are long and difficult. The hours of your time they require can be detrimental to your physical health and mental well-being. It will cost you dearly in terms of lost wages, lost friendships, and weakened family and romantic relationships. This is particularly true for older applicants.

Lastly, given your age you will likely not receive a funded offer of admission. You are a risk for any program. If you prove yourself in the first year, you will get funding in the future years but that means you will need about $50,000 to pay for tuition and basic living expenses in the first year in a US program.

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks, tm_member.

You understood the problem. In fact, I want to do research and teaching as adjunt teacher in my country. In terms of wage, nothing will change (my salary will be the same). Off course there are some costs, like travels with the family, that will become higher.
    The part of weakening family and romantic ties, really worried me...

But if I decide go down in this route, it is good to know that there is not a huge difference between 45 and 49.

Thanks a lot, tm_member.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information