Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Real Analysis for admissions vs 1st year survival - myths and realities

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Real Analysis for admissions vs 1st year survival - myths and realities

Sponsored Ad:
    I followed this forum very closely last year and was led to believe real analysis is the do or die of phd first year econ.

I feel I should give some new observations give one semester a a good phd program in the US. RA is useful, for first year micro, but you can learn how to wrote proofs and follow the definition-theorem-proof approach without RA as well (sure it will make life harder, but by no means is it impossible if you put in the hours and dedication - at the end of the day its just learning a new technique).

While proof writing is important, my view is being completely comfortable with math stat & linear algebra and being able to solve large systems of equations (particularly macro) or complex functions is equally - if not more - important.

RA serves as a signal for admissions but if anyone tells you you cant survive a good phd program without RA they're deluded. At the end of the day its about being able to put in the hours and remaining dedicated during the tough times. The rest falls into place.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Real Analysis for admissions vs 1st year survival - myths and realities

The purpose of taking analysis is for its signaling ability, apart from gaining maturity in mathematical logic. Tough math courses are seen as a good signal since adcoms will rather take in students who have proven that they can cope with mathematical rigour and then not use them (if they've decided to not go down the theory route), rather than a poorly (with respect to math) prepared student. As always, more is better than less when it comes to PhD admissions.

Most good schools explicitly mentioned on their website that good candidates should have a year of calc, algebra and have some exposure to mathematical analysis. Plus, they almost always mention that more math is preferred.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Honestly, I've never heard anyone say you can't survive a good phd program without RA. Do people really say that? Also, counterfactual? How can you measure how hard it would've been without RA. Saying that it's not impossible doesn't provide much insight since the reality is we have constraints (24 hours in 1 day).

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Who led you to believe that? Do you have examples?

Thread Information