Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 152 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Application Sweat Thread

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2018 Application Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Long-time lurker turned first-time poster. Applied to 16 schools. Good luck everybody!
    Last edited by AppliedMicro92; 12-27-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

One of my references still hasn't submitted the LOR for most of the schools. Anyone else in the same situation?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    One of my references still hasn't submitted the LOR for most of the schools. Anyone else in the same situation?
    Is this for Dec 1 and Dec 15 deadlines that already passed? If so, you should be calling the writer if you haven't already.

If you have doubts the letter will come in soon, any chance there's another reference you think you can add in quickly as a replacement?

If you're already a couple/few weeks behind some of the deadlines, I'd think you really ought to wrap this up as quickly as possible one way or another. Get the letter in from the original writer by nagging, or find a backup.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by jjrousseau View Post
    Is this for Dec 1 and Dec 15 deadlines that already passed? If so, you should be calling the writer if you haven't already.

If you have doubts the letter will come in soon, any chance there's another reference you think you can add in quickly as a replacement?

If you're already a couple/few weeks behind some of the deadlines, I'd think you really ought to wrap this up as quickly as possible one way or another. Get the letter in from the original writer by nagging, or find a backup.
    I've tried emailing and he keeps saying that he will do it this week for the last three weeks. I cant push any further without it coming off as rude. I'm just hoping they dont look at the files till mid january after the ASSA meeting.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

I've tried emailing and he keeps saying that he will do it this week for the last three weeks. I cant push any further without it coming off as rude. I'm just hoping they dont look at the files till mid january after the ASSA meeting.
    I'm really sorry this is happening to you right now. This is definitely not what you should have to stress about at this time in the application season. I think jjrousseau's recommendations are good. Don't worry about it being "rude" to ask him again: it's part of the job when someone accepts to be a letter writer that the thing gets submitted in time. You should also think if there is another person who can serve as your last writer in case this current option looks like he won't be able to submit in time.

Do you have his phone number? I would call instead of emailing him to make the outreach a bit more personal. Just try to convey to him in as polite a manner as possible that you have invested a fair amount of time and money into the application process and want its review to go as smoothly as possible.

Eager!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Would you be able to find an alternative letter writer? If this is how your letter writer treats your application, I don't think he/she would write a good LOR.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

^ Bad advice. Disregard.

The truth is, letters are late ALL the time. Professors are busy people and adcoms know that how lateness is NOT in the control of the applicant (for the most part). They will accomodate.

I was worried about this three years ago in my cycle and everything worked out.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks for clearing that up Zubrus. It's good to know that everything worked out for you in the end.

@brodroski It's not very hard to write a crappy letter so it does give me some comfort that he is replying to my emails and lets me know that he is trying to get it done. Its possible he is just very busy or thinks the informal deadline is early january.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Zubrus View Post
    ^ Bad advice. Disregard.

The truth is, letters are late ALL the time. Professors are busy people and adcoms know that how lateness is NOT in the control of the applicant (for the most part). They will accomodate.

I was worried about this three years ago in my cycle and everything worked out.
    This may be fair enough. I'll admit total ignorance on how adcom's treat late letters in practice.

Nevertheless, I don't see what the harm would be in adding a backup letter (if that's feasible in your situation), say at least for schools that have the infrastructure set up for requesting more than 3 letters. In these cases, you wouldn't even need to bump your slow writer officially, and you can keep whichever one comes in first. At least you have the option, and you're protected against a *very* late letter. This of course is contingent on the ability to still edit your references in closed apps, so maybe a bad assumption to start.

I don't know, if possible, it seems like relatively costless insurance to me. But weigh against what you think you can realistically expect from your writer at this point.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Applied to 14 places, thankful that they're all in now. Good luck to all!

Page 3 of 152 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information