Urch Forums

2018 Application Sweat Thread

tm_member

Hi all,

Like in other years, this thread is for general discussion among applicants (including vague rumors and outright speculation). The idea is to share what you are going through as you wait for decisions on applications.

I'm not going to clog up the forum with a roll call thread. The value of the thread was always fairly questionable. I'll create a stickied profiles and results thread in March.

I do encourage the following: create a thread with your profile and the schools you have applied to and ask people to predict your outcomes. Then, in April, let us know how we did.

Remember to be civil to one another and good luck!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg3, I did end up deciding! I was lucky enough to have a lot of disposable income so I applied widely: GWU, Georgetown, UMass Amherst (for the hell of it, because after lots of research, I discovered I was very interested in their program), BU, BC, UO, UWM, UConn, Tufts (their MS), WUSTL, UIC. Hoping that my grades and strong letters can pull up a not-so-strong GRE score. Realistically, I think my chances are best as UO, UIC, UWM, UConn. Think I'd be happy at any of these programs. Thanks for all of your advice throughout the process. :)

First time applying. Besides the logistics of getting any remaining documents submitted, etc, is it usually quiet until March/April while waiting to hear back from programs? Any tips on things to do/get ahead of until then?

Based on the trend from past years, buzz (first round of offers) usually begins early Feb. You can begin to check gradcafe at around that period.

One of my references still hasn't submitted the LOR for most of the schools. Anyone else in the same situation?

Is this for Dec 1 and Dec 15 deadlines that already passed? If so, you should be calling the writer if you haven't already.

If you have doubts the letter will come in soon, any chance there's another reference you think you can add in quickly as a replacement?

If you're already a couple/few weeks behind some of the deadlines, I'd think you really ought to wrap this up as quickly as possible one way or another. Get the letter in from the original writer by nagging, or find a backup.

Is this for Dec 1 and Dec 15 deadlines that already passed? If so, you should be calling the writer if you haven't already.

If you have doubts the letter will come in soon, any chance there's another reference you think you can add in quickly as a replacement?

If you're already a couple/few weeks behind some of the deadlines, I'd think you really ought to wrap this up as quickly as possible one way or another. Get the letter in from the original writer by nagging, or find a backup.

I've tried emailing and he keeps saying that he will do it this week for the last three weeks. I cant push any further without it coming off as rude. I'm just hoping they dont look at the files till mid january after the ASSA meeting.

I've tried emailing and he keeps saying that he will do it this week for the last three weeks. I cant push any further without it coming off as rude. I'm just hoping they dont look at the files till mid january after the ASSA meeting.

I'm really sorry this is happening to you right now. This is definitely not what you should have to stress about at this time in the application season. I think jjrousseau's recommendations are good. Don't worry about it being "rude" to ask him again: it's part of the job when someone accepts to be a letter writer that the thing gets submitted in time. You should also think if there is another person who can serve as your last writer in case this current option looks like he won't be able to submit in time.

Do you have his phone number? I would call instead of emailing him to make the outreach a bit more personal. Just try to convey to him in as polite a manner as possible that you have invested a fair amount of time and money into the application process and want its review to go as smoothly as possible.