Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - Latinoamerica

fiecsdiego

Hello, everyone, I’d like your opinions and know to which schools should I apply.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Unknown School at South-America

Undergrad GPA: 3.2

Type of Grad 1: Top of my country (GPA: 3.8/4.0) Master in Economics

Type of Grad 2: Top-Latinoamerican (GPA: 4.0/4.0) Master in Economic Theory

GRE: 152V, 170Q, 3.0AW

TOEFL: 102/120

AWMath Courses: Calculus I-IV (B, B, A-, A-); Linear Algebra (B); Real Analysis I (A+); Real Analysis II (A+); Measure Theory (A+).

Econ Courses (grad-level): Microeconomic Theory I (A+), Microeconomic Theory II (A-), Game Theory (A+), Macroeconomic Theory I (A+), Macroeconomic Theory II (A+), All Courses of Econometrics (A+)

Letters of Recommendation:

1) Full Time Professor and Researcher at Economics Department when I did my second master. Solid letter (Co-authors in a econometric paper). I have been his RA and TA for 1 year and a half.

2) Full Time Professor and Researcher at Economics Department when I did my second master. I have been his RA and TA for 1 year. Solid letter.

3) Full Time Professor and Researcher at Economics Department when I did my second master. I have been his RA for 1 year. Solid letter.

Research Experience: A paper with one of my recommenders and I worked as a RA for my 3 recommenders.

Teaching Experience: One year and a half as a TA for international economics and macroeconometrics courses.

Research Interests: Macroeconomics, Econometrics and Finance.

Concerns: 1)Low undergrad GPA and low AW and Verbal scores (GRE). I am mainly concerned about my scores of GRE.

Applying to: Yale, Columbia, Berkeley, Princeton, Northwestern, NYU, Chicago, UPenn, UCLA, UCSD, Minnesota, BU, JHU, Wiscosin-Madison, Michigan and Rochester.

Please, give me your advices!!!

Thank you very much.

Assuming your letter writers from your second masters push hard for you (and that the program has a good record of sending phd students to top US programs) you have a reasonable shot in your list. GRE AW score doesnt matter. But your calc and LA grades could hurt your chances, those are even more vital than A+ in RA for first year courses. Just in case I would branch out a bit more.

Hello, everyone, I’d like your opinions and know to which schools should I apply.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Unknown School at South-America

Undergrad GPA: 3.2

Type of Grad 1: Top of my country (GPA: 3.8/4.0) Master in Economics

Type of Grad 2: Top-Latinoamerican (GPA: 4.0/4.0) Master in Economic Theory

GRE: 152V, 170Q, 3.0AW

TOEFL: 102/120

AWMath Courses: Calculus I-IV (B, B, A-, A-); Linear Algebra (B); Real Analysis I (A+); Real Analysis II (A+); Measure Theory (A+).

Econ Courses (grad-level): Microeconomic Theory I (A+), Microeconomic Theory II (A-), Game Theory (A+), Macroeconomic Theory I (A+), Macroeconomic Theory II (A+), All Courses of Econometrics (A+)

Letters of Recommendation:

1) Full Time Professor and Researcher at Economics Department when I did my second master. Solid letter (Co-authors in a econometric paper). I have been his RA and TA for 1 year and a half.

2) Full Time Professor and Researcher at Economics Department when I did my second master. I have been his RA and TA for 1 year. Solid letter.

3) Full Time Professor and Researcher at Economics Department when I did my second master. I have been his RA for 1 year. Solid letter.

Research Experience: A paper with one of my recommenders and I worked as a RA for my 3 recommenders.

Teaching Experience: One year and a half as a TA for international economics and macroeconometrics courses.

Research Interests: Macroeconomics, Econometrics and Finance.

Concerns: 1)Low undergrad GPA and low AW and Verbal scores (GRE). I am mainly concerned about my scores of GRE.

Applying to: Yale, Columbia, Berkeley, Princeton, Northwestern, NYU, Chicago, UPenn, UCLA, UCSD, Minnesota, BU, JHU, Wiscosin-Madison, Michigan and Rochester.

Please, give me your advices!!!

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much! Well my program has a good record sending people to PhD. programs and Professors told me that everything is going to be fine so I should not be worried (I suppose they will push for me haha). According to some of my professors, the undergraduate GPA does not matter if you had a good performance in your graduate studies and you took math courses ... I hope they are right.

Thank you again!