Urch Forums

Masters Programs that are helpful stepping stones to a PhD

lindseybuck95

Hello all,

I know that some masters programs are better than others if one's ultimate goal is to obtain a PhD. Some explicitly state that they are not to be used as a stepping stone for a PhD, but others, such as UT- Austin, state that they are a useful stepping stone. Could people provide examples of other masters programs that may be good for a student looking to up their mathematical and economic skills before applying for a PhD?

Thank you!

There are not many I can think of. Off the top of my head are LSE's Econ/EME and CEMFI, all 1 year. I would also consider SSE if you come directly from undergrad and want research experience, it's 2 years with full thesis. I heard some good things about UCL's and UBC's too, also 1 year.

May be other members can help adding.

Traditionally, Duke has the best stepping stone to PhD program in the U.S. Wisconsin also seems to produce good results at least for the top of its class. In comparing 1 year and two year programs, give thought to what kind of letters of recommendation you will be able to get.

US econ master programs dont give funding. If you can afford it go for duke or NYU or chicago's new MAPSS with econ concentration - all the while being sure to take math classes or preferably phd micro/metrics. Alternatively you could look at top schools in canada (toronto, queens) or in europe (lse eme is hard to get into depending on your background) or CEMFI/Bocconi/BGSE.