Urch Forums

Georgia Tech - intel; feedback on alternate to PP PhD

southerncharm

Hi all,

I posted about a year ago on my candidacy for a top PhD program, and got clear feedback that I'm old and am "yee of little math." I am continuing to explore PhD programs in public policy (UofC, UNC, and UGA) and urban planning (MIT and Georgia Tech).

That said, I continue to be interested in the econ PhD , and have been in touch with Georgia Tech. I like the applied nature of the program as well as the focus on innovation. I am competitive for the program based on discussions.

1. Any insights on the history of this program and why it is unranked anywhere? I'm assuming it's a new program and that's part of the story. As far as I can tell, they've had very few finish the program and have no academic placements.

2. Given I'm not competitive for a top 20 econ program, and a place like Harris is a stretch - I'm curious to know how a PhD in econ from Georgia Tech would compare to a PP PhD from a place like UGA or UNC. My goal isn't to go into tenure track role - rather I'd be looking for applied research roles at think tanks, Fed, etc. in Atlanta. My gut is the Tech econ PhD would be better but would love feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, I think the PhD from UNC in Public Policy would be a better option than econ phd from GT. They (UNC) have relatively strong (and verifiable) placements, and you can take a healthy dose of applied economics courses while you are there. The fact GT doesn't advertise placements on their website is a red flag to me, unless they are so new no one has finished yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply, Lester. That makes sense re UNC.

So play out that I don't get into UNC or another top policy school. My goal is to get a TT position - my focus is economic development so I'm open to policy, Econ, and urban planning schools.

My sense is that I'm competitive for...

- Econ programs ranked 75-150 (or maybe Oxbridge if I wanted to go overseas)

- Policy programs ranked 10-30

- urban planning programs 5-10

With that goal, any advice? My gut was that a below average Econ program (e.g. Tech) would beat out a much higher ranked policy school (e.g. Georgia State) or planning school (e.g. Maryland). Let me know any thoughts. Thanks!

A couple of thoughts:

1. Policy and econ degrees are different. Which actually fits your interests and career goals better?

2. Georgia Tech is quite good school for applied micro. I don't know why they don't put placements on their website, but I wouldn't read too much into that.