Urch Forums

Canadian MA Employability

Gronk17

Hi all,

Going through the masters application process in Canada in the coming months. Have applied to 6 schools. While I consider myself to be a strong performer in academic Econ, I am definitely not convinced a PhD is right for me. So in that case, would a masters with a co op like Laurier or Waterloo make more sense in terms of my immediate employability after grad? Or would UBC/Queens still have an advantage (assuming I could get in) due to reputation even though lacking co op ?

Any general advice is appreciated. Obviously there are other factors like funding and cost of living but just in general what are the thoughts on above ?

Thanks

G

No way at this stage to think that you are a "strong performer in econ".

Best students from the big 4 are recruited from the BoC. Go to the best institution possible.

Thanks for the reply

When I say I’m a strong performer I just mean im at the top or near the top (top 3 perhaps) of my undergrad program. Sure that’s not much to go on I suppose but it’s the only metric available to me at this stage.

Specifically I am among the top performers in the heavy math based Econ courses, which I think lend the most help toward being prepped for grad school.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll have to see once the offers start coming in

Laurier has actually placed many MABE graduates into good jobs on bay street and the BOC. But given how many students are doing MA's these days always shoot for the top programs. I would recommend staying east if you do not want a PhD. The job market around UBC and SFU is brutal; to many top MA graduates to few jobs.