Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Profile Evaluation Fall 2019

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Profile Evaluation Fall 2019

Sponsored Ad:
    Please help me choose a range of programs I could have a shot, I would really appreciate any advice.
    Thanks in advance!!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA in Economics (Top 15 program in Brazil)
    Undergrad GPA: 7.5/10 (top 20% of my class)
    Type of Grad: MA in Applied Economics (Top 10 program in Brazil)
    Grad GPA: 8.0/10
    GRE: 164Q/ 160V/ 4.0 AW
    TOEFL: 103 iBT
    Math Courses: Linear Algebra, Calculus (I, II), Quantitative Methods (I, II, III, IV), Real Analysis, Multivariate Analysis, Statistics (I, II)
    Econ Courses (grad-level): Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics ,Monetary Macroeconomics, Econometrics, Development Economics,
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Microeconomics (I, II, III), Macroeconomics (I, II, III), Econometrics (I, II), Monetary economics, Brazilian economics (I, II), Spatial Econometrics
    Other Courses: 6 Months as an exchange student in Denmark (Aarhus University)
    Letters of Recommendation: One letter from my supervisor on my BA thesis (PHD in Germany), one from my supervisor on my MA thesis (PHD in U.S) and a "co-supervisor" of my MA thesis (Professor in Canada)
    Research Experience: Both B.A and M.A thesis count as experience as a researcher
    Teaching Experience: 1 year as T.A in Microeconometrics
    Research Interests: Economics of Education, Labor Economics and Development Macroeconomics
    SOP: Standard SOP, will justify a little bit the grade system here, and how it is different from the U.S GPA
    Concerns: Not so good GPA, I don't think my LOR are strong enough
    Other:
    Applying to: 50 -100 top program.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation Fall 2019

Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post
    Please help me choose a range of programs I could have a shot, I would really appreciate any advice.
    Thanks in advance!!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA in Economics (Top 15 program in Brazil)
    Undergrad GPA: 7.5/10 (top 20% of my class)
    Type of Grad: MA in Applied Economics (Top 10 program in Brazil)
    Grad GPA: 8.0/10
    GRE: 164Q/ 160V/ 4.0 AW
    TOEFL: 103 iBT
    Math Courses: Linear Algebra, Calculus (I, II), Quantitative Methods (I, II, III, IV), Real Analysis, Multivariate Analysis, Statistics (I, II)
    Econ Courses (grad-level): Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics ,Monetary Macroeconomics, Econometrics, Development Economics,
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Microeconomics (I, II, III), Macroeconomics (I, II, III), Econometrics (I, II), Monetary economics, Brazilian economics (I, II), Spatial Econometrics
    Other Courses: 6 Months as an exchange student in Denmark (Aarhus University)
    Letters of Recommendation: One letter from my supervisor on my BA thesis (PHD in Germany), one from my supervisor on my MA thesis (PHD in U.S) and a "co-supervisor" of my MA thesis (Professor in Canada)
    Research Experience: Both B.A and M.A thesis count as experience as a researcher
    Teaching Experience: 1 year as T.A in Microeconometrics
    Research Interests: Economics of Education, Labor Economics and Development Macroeconomics
    SOP: Standard SOP, will justify a little bit the grade system here, and how it is different from the U.S GPA
    Concerns: Not so good GPA, I don't think my LOR are strong enough
    Other:
    Applying to: 50 -100 top program.
    I can't say where you should apply because I don't have enough experience, but I think you could potentially retake your GRE to improve the quantitative section. 164 might be enough, but that's the only thing that you can improve right now, so maybe you should at least try. Can you give your grades for maths courses?

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation Fall 2019

This is tough. I recommend the following

1. Look for students from Brazil on the job market this year and prior years (go to the placement websites of all potential schools you would consider).
    2. Look for Brazilian graduates.
    3. Contact those students/recent graduates and ask them how your profile compares to theirs when they applied.

If you are polite and respectful, they will help.

Thread Information