Urch Forums

Barcelona GSE Master Econ to UPF MRes/PhD Econ

absTerrified

I have been admitted into the BGSE MEcon (10 months).

What is required in order to get into the UPF MRes/PhD Economics?

Specifically:

1. What are the grades required? How hard is it to achieve?

2. How many students get through?

3. Failing to meet the requirements, what are my other options? UAB?

Any help to any of the questions will be super super helpful!

Edited by absTerrified

I am curious about this as well. All I know is that the MS in Finance and MS in Economics grads are weighted equally for admission to the MRes at UPF (source: the program director for MS in Finance), which makes sense since they lead to the same degree ("Masters in Economics and Finance").

I'm sure someone at BGSE has the answers to these questions

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested - I'm going to answer this myself using information from various sources.

The minimum grades I've seen get quoted are 6.5-7. And approximately top 20% or less make it through to the second year. With intakes of close to 100 this may be difficult. I think this is evident with BGSE reporting they accepted 92 students last year - and looking at UPF JMC's there's consistently approximately 15 every year.

It does seem like there's some self sorting process going on for students selecting normal vs advanced stream courses. So the competition for the limited 2nd year MRes places may reduce drastically. But that means the quality of the talent pool at the end is just higher.

It seems like doing well is extremely difficult though not impossible. However, getting anything below 6.5 may not look good when applying elsewhere - keep in mind though, adcoms may recognize that BGSE is a difficult program to do well in.

IMO - It's not the ideal option but it is a good option if you think you can come close to being the top. Since they receive a lot of applications, I think it's important to remember that the students being admitted are likely to also be of your quality or higher. So I think it's a very risky option also. By the sounds of it, the plus is the real possibility of getting a good job out at the end of the BGSE masters.