Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Profile Evaluation for Fall 2019

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Question Profile Evaluation for Fall 2019

Sponsored Ad:
    I'm actually asking for Masters Program evaluation, specifically at LSE.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BComm (Business/Finance) BA Mathematics dual degree from one of the good Canadian econ schools (think U of T/UBC/Queens)

Undergrad GPA: 3.93/4, (including 4/4 in Econ courses, 3.92 in Math courses)

Grad GPA: None

GRE: 165V/170Q/4.0AW

Math Courses: Calculus I,II,III (I and II were transfer from high school, A+ in III), Linear Algebra (A+, full-year sequence), Probability Theory I (A-), Differential Equations (A+), Game Theory (A+, it is a math faculty course at my school), Real Analysis (A-), Stochastic Processes (A), Intro CS (A+), Undergraduate Intro Stats (A+), Mathematical Economics (A+)

Econ Courses (grad-level):

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Introductory + Intermediate Micro/Macro (all 4 A+), Advanced Micro (A), Advanced Macro (A+), Introductory
    Econometrics (A+), Applied Econometrics (A+), Finance I, Finance II, Advanced Corporate Finance, Portfolio Management, International Finance, Derivative Securities (all A+), Business Decision Models, Advanced Business Decision Models, Operations Research (all A+), 'Managerial Economics' (A)

Letters of Recommendation: Two economics professors; one with mostly government and global development experience and a number of highly cited papers, the other a well-cited microeconomist. First one PhD from my school, second PhD from Cornell

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: Development Economics

SOP: Life-long interest in economics, a driven worker and researcher, significant extracurricular economics exposure

Concerns: Non-Econ Bachelors degree is a big one. Also was very upset when I got an A- in Real Analysis, but it was a very difficult course and I didn't have the background and support groups that the engineering/math students had, since I was a business student.

Other: I have worked on the sell-side at a major Canadian bank for a summer and as a consulting intern at a very prestigious management consultancy for one summer. Not sure how much this helps.

Applying to:

MSc Economics, LSE - this is the big one
    MPhil Economics, Cambridge
    MA Economics, U of T

So, do I have a chance? This has been a dream of mine for a long time.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation for Fall 2019

High chance you'll get in to all of those, LSE is a bit of a crap shoot because of the insane number of applications but still.

But beyond that you should think of your next step. Do you want to do a PhD? If so, to clinch the top-10 you should really work as an RA somewhere, preferably for a well-known economist, it will make all the difference.

Good post? Yes | No

Hello, my background is also canadian undergrad at a similarly ranked school. I think your chances at the LSE are quite high. I would say that most student have less math than you and also worse grades. Overall, I disagree a little with the above post. The intake rate for Msc Econ at LSE was something like 13% 2 years ago, note there may be more student who were admitted but chose not to come. It does not seem to me like an extremely competitive program, and I think your profile is strong enough to get in. I would also apply to the EME program.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Your profile is a shoe-in for LSE. Very unlikely for any funding.

If you can afford it, do the EME and get distinction and forget about the RA.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Zubrus View Post
    Your profile is a shoe-in for LSE. Very unlikely for any funding.

If you can afford it, do the EME and get distinction and forget about the RA.
    Agreed. Since you can apply to be considered for two programmes at the LSE, you ought to put EME as your first choice and the 1-year Econ as your second.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Uncompromisable View Post
    High chance you'll get in to all of those, LSE is a bit of a crap shoot because of the insane number of applications but still.

But beyond that you should think of your next step. Do you want to do a PhD? If so, to clinch the top-10 you should really work as an RA somewhere, preferably for a well-known economist, it will make all the difference.
    Thank you for your encouraging words. I'm not sure if I'd like to do a PhD; I'd like to make that decision during my masters. Would it be possible to take the necessary steps in research then?

Good post? Yes | No

You don't think the A minuses are a bad signal, math-wise? I don't know what level of math they expect. I know its probably not US PhD levels - I've tried my best to take the math required for those.

I suppose I should mention - I have two B+s from mandatory business courses ('Business Management' and 'Marketing II') but I figure those bear no relevance to my math/economics/finance ability.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Hey OP you should be able to get into UofT MA Econ. I had poorer grades and got in w/o funding. My profile: http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...n-edition.html

Thread Information