Urch Forums

Applied/Agricultural Econ: Cornell vs. MSU vs. UWisonsin-Madison

jeongwonie

Hello,

I have currently been accepted to the above programs with full funding.

Given the financial support (stipend + health insurance + full tuition waiver) is pretty much the same between the three universities, where should I go?

I am interested in development econ and labor econ.

Thank you.

Wow congrats! Cornell would be a good choice. They have devo track and their placement would be the best among those three.

Thank you! I am also thinking about Cornell. Your comment is much appreciated.

BTW, what does "devo track" mean? I'm an international and not so familiar with it...

I just meant development track. Cornell has several field tracks and development track is quite big with many professors. The location also seems to dominate the other ones as you can reach nyc in 4 hours.

You may thoroughly compare the placements and professors of your interest to make a choice. Personally, I would narrow down the options to Cornell and UW as they are considered better than MSU.

BTW, what does "devo track" mean? I'm an international and not so familiar with it...

He meant that Cornell has a dedicated Development Econ field of concentration, so you'll have sufficient courses to pick and choose from, instead of having to string together courses on your own.

Edit: Oh, he has already replied. Haha.

But yes, I would also second his opinion. The toss-up is between Cornell and Wisconsin-Madison.

I just meant development track. Cornell has several field tracks and development track is quite big with many professors. The location also seems to dominate the other ones as you can reach nyc in 4 hours.

You may thoroughly compare the placements and professors of your interest to make a choice. Personally, I would narrow down the options to Cornell and UW as they are considered better than MSU.

He meant that Cornell has a dedicated Development Econ field of concentration, so you'll have sufficient courses to pick and choose from, instead of having to string together courses on your own.

Edit: Oh, he has already replied. Haha.

But yes, I would also second his opinion. The toss-up is between Cornell and Wisconsin-Madison.

@tuesday @tutonic Thank you very much for the explanation! ^^

@tuesday are you applying for F18 too? wish you soon be accepted with full funding to your dream school! (Just happen to look at your page, I'm not a stalker though ^^)

If you don't mind, can you share the details of MSU funding and inform whether they have some kind of visit day? thanks!

Hello,

I have currently been accepted to the above programs with full funding.

Given the financial support (stipend + health insurance + full tuition waiver) is pretty much the same between the three universities, where should I go?

I am interested in development econ and labor econ.

Thank you.

If you don't mind, can you share the details of MSU funding and inform whether they have some kind of visit day? thanks!

They sent another invitation email for the graduate research symposium which will take place on March 29 and 30. Prospective students can join faculty and student presentations, and have organized lunch with the faculty.

About the funding, it is a standard package with tuition waiver, health ins. and monthly stipend with RA responsibities. But I will decline soon.

• 3 weeks later...
I am a phd student at UW. I definitely recommend univ other than UW if you want to be successful in Academics in the future. Recently UW has giving many phd degrees to Asian officials and central bankers (who stay univ only for 2-3 years!) very easily, which means there will be less value of UW's phd in the near future. The performance of UW students in the job market will become worse too.