Urch Forums

Europe Master Scholarships for Non-EU Students

dt1330

Hi everybody,

I am an Economics student from Turkey and I have been accepted to CEMFI with a tuition waiver, however, I haven't received a stipend.

It would be extremely hard for my parents and me to cover the living expenses for two years. Do you know any scholarships that are offered to Non-EU students to study in Spain? Or can you give me some advice about funding?

Thank you

It's a rather odd arrangement. From my understanding, everyone who gets into CEMFI will be funded.

In any case, I believe the email was sent by Arellano, right? You can try emailing him, expressing your interest in attending the programme but am worried about financing living expenses. You can ask him if there's any other financing opportunities that he might know of, or perhaps ask him if there's any RA positions available for you to finance your studies with?

Well, that was the case in the previous years. From forums, this year I have seen that there are some people that did not receive any tuition waiver at all. And they changed the funding information on their website as 'We offer a limited number of scholarships.' So, I believe they lowered the number of scholarships available.

Thank you for your advice. I will be contacting them.

Hi, I was admitted to the CEMFI yesterday without funding, it was kind of disappointing as I thought everybody would at least get a tuition waiver. Anyways, I'll still attend the program as it looks really great and my other option is the MSc Economics at LSE, which I can simply not afford. I'm also a non-EU student (Switzlerand) and will have to rely on my extended family to pay for the two years, probably taking a loan too, as my parents alone would not be able to afford that. It also means I'll have to work a little before entering a PhD to repay all that. It's really not optimal to take a loan but it's the only option I have, coming from a relatively low income family.

For people interested in the CEMFI, I found these two files, they have an exhaustive list of placements for the master students there, which I find really good on average :

http://www.cemfi.es/ftp/pdf/Annual_Report_on_Quality_2014-2016.pdf

www.cemfi.es/ftp/pdf/Annual_Report_on_Quality_2013-2015.pdf

Edit : Oh and do you guys think that non-funded offers means that they intend to have a larger incoming class ? Or is it just because they have less funding ? Because the fact that the class size was limited to 30 places is a major plus for the program

Actually, when I saw they admitted people without stipends and tuition waivers, I got concerned about the class size too. However, I believe that they know that the small class size is their major strength. So, I am hoping that they just have less funding available.

Yes, I think they know that, their advertising video
really emphasize the closeness of professors with students so I guess it's a major point and this limit of 30 people seems to be quite strict, I really hope they intend to keep it. Anyways, I emailed them to ask about funding, I'll let you know if anything interesting comes out of their answer !

Hey, so the reply came and they said that we will be reassessed for funding for the second year if we have a good performance for the first one! There's no waitlist for funding though so the decision is final for this year.

Current Cemfi student here. As far as I know, this the program decided to incentivize students to stay for the PhD instead of leaving for somewhere else. Some in their PhD track receive funding, the rest can apply for the second year.

The number of students will remain at 30 (the classrooms can't even fit more that that), and they will still help you if you want to apply to the US/UK, but the funding will be less generous.

Thank you, hope to see you there

Hey, so the reply came and they said that we will be reassessed for funding for the second year if we have a good performance for the first one! There's no waitlist for funding though so the decision is final for this year.

Thank you for your reply. It is nice to know that the number of students will remain at 30.

Current Cemfi student here. As far as I know, this the program decided to incentivize students to stay for the PhD instead of leaving for somewhere else. Some in their PhD track receive funding, the rest can apply for the second year.

The number of students will remain at 30 (the classrooms can't even fit more that that), and they will still help you if you want to apply to the US/UK, but the funding will be less generous.

• 1 month later...
Heyy. I have also been accepted to CEMFI's masters! Hope to see you all there. By the way, when do you think they'll start with the administrative work, like, giving us visa sponsorship?

Hey, I was told by an actual student that they send the list of other students by the end of May, unfortunately I have no idea when they'll contact us for administrative stuff, I'm guessing May or June, maybe earlier for those that need visa sponsorship.