Urch Forums

Maryland vs Rochester [Macro]

maoster

Hi all,

I am an international applicant (with absolutely no experience with America) and I have received funded offers from both programs. I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me decide between the two.

I am likely going to continue to focus on macro (monetary) and applied (time-series) econometrics, and both schools seem to have good macro faculty. In particular, Maryland with Aruoba and Rochester with Kocherlakota.

Furthermore, they seem to be rather even when it comes to placements too. Indeed, they are also tied according to US News.

I know winter in Rochester is particularly challenging, but I do like the cold. While Maryland's weather seem to be more predictable. Nonetheless, I doubt weather would play much of a role in my decision.

Thank you in advance!

Curiously I have a similar profile and I got an offer from Rochester. I will probably attend there (I just need an answer from Minnesota and UPenn's waitlist to decide). What I heard from Rochester is that since it is a smaller department, there is a closer relationship between faculty and students (similar to Minnesota). One friend got an offer from Maryland and Rochester last year and he went to both open houses and told me that he would have chosen Rochester (however UPenn accepted him off the waitlist).