Urch Forums

Varying stipends at Berkeley?

ypmordecai

I've heard from seeing posts on GC that it looks like there were 2 different funding offers at berkeley, one with the 8k first year and TA-ship onwards, and one that was ~30k a year. Does anyone have more specific details on the ~30k a year stipend amount? I'm thinking about trying to bargain with them.

Related question: Does anyone know if Berkeley makes geographic distinctions in allocating funding? I'm international and wondering if it diminishes my chances of getting my funding increased. Did any international applicants here get the 30k offer?

I know there is at least one international applicant who got full funding ($30k).

The update is that it did not work--I got a pretty rude email back basically saying "sucks dude"

Thank you for updating. I responded but have not heard back yet. If you don't mind answering, what was your bargaining position? Did you inform them of any other offers?

I emailed Heather in the offer letter and she forwarded it to two other people. I mentioned two competing offers at comparable schools, and said that I really wanted to go but the stipend was making it hard for me. Fred (one of the people, I think he's the admissions chair) responded to me almost immediately with the no.

Got it. Thanks for updating. I had the same experience. Disappointing.. Berkeley will certainly have a low offer acceptance rate because of the funding issue, though i’m sure they factored that into their offer choices. Anyway, i’d rather have a weakly funded offer from them than none at all. We’ll see if it’s feasible.

I emailed Heather in the offer letter and she forwarded it to two other people. I mentioned two competing offers at comparable schools, and said that I really wanted to go but the stipend was making it hard for me. Fred (one of the people, I think he's the admissions chair) responded to me almost immediately with the no.

Yep, the same for me (literally point for point). Oh well, not sure at this point whether it's worth going for the fly out.