Urch Forums

Waitlist and sending emails

podunk

Hello all,

I received an email from the program that I really want to attend.

Sadly, they said I'm currently on waitlist..

It seems all I can do now is to send an email. Is it okay if I send an email to the program director and the coordinator to appeal and show my interest to the program?

If so, to what extent do I have to write? Just say "thank you and look forward to good news", or briefly describe my research interests and how much I fit to the program?

Your advice would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by podunk

Hey,

https://www.jetdencre.ch/a-tentative-guide-for-phd-admissions-in-economics-3-after-the-offers-7212

This article was written by someone admitted to Princeton, you can look at the 3rd non-italic paragraph where he say that he showed his interest in the program when he was waitlisted. Maybe it won't help to do that but just so you know that people admitted off the waitlist did that in the past :) good luck!

If this is your top choice among your remaining options you should let them know that.

The email is simple:

Dear [DGS/program director],

I was recently informed that I was wait-listed for the PhD program in Economics at [school]. I am writing to let you know that I have been accepted with funding to A, B, and C. However, [school] is my preferred choice and I would immediately accept an offer of admission with funding.

Sincerely,

Podunk