See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profiles and Results 2018

Trying to make mom and pop proud

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profiles and Results 2018

Sponsored Ad:
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: US Public University, T30 UG, T15 Econ, Math & Econ Major
    Undergrad GPA: 3.94
    Type of Grad: N.A.
    Grad GPA: N.A.
    GRE: 166(V), 170(Q), 4.5(AW)
    Math Courses: Analysis (A+), Linear Algebra (A), PDE (A+), Multi-variable Analysis (A), Abstract Algebra (A), Stochastic Processes (A+), Measure Theory (A+)
    Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro (A+), Intermediate Macro (A+), Game Theory (A+), Labor Economics (A-), Intermediate Metrics I & II (A+, B+), International Finance (A), International Trade (A), PhD Micro Sequence (A+, A, A+, A+), PhD 2nd-year Game Theory (A)
    Other Courses: Some philosophy courses. Bunches of random business management courses from my previous university.
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 from micro theory prof with whom I RA-ed (well-known); 1 from micro theory prof with whom I took three courses (top 5 PhD); 1 from math prof with whom I took one math course
    Research Experience: RA in micro theory with one of the profs above
    Teaching Experience: None
    Research Interests: Micro theory
    SOP: A detailed description of research projects that I did and would like to start. Did not customize school-wise.
    Other: Transferred to current school from a little known university in Asia.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Stanford, Yale, Columbia, Northwestern (waitlist for first-year funding)
    Waitlists: None
    Rejections: Harvard, Stanford GSB, Princeton, Chicago, Penn, NYU
    Pending: None
    Attending: Stanford
    Comments: This is definitely more than I had hoped for. Extremely happy about this. Advice for future applicants: Research experience and letters are way more important than many think. As far as I know, applicants tend to over-estimate GPA and under-estimate research experience and letters. I've seen at least 4 applicants (some applying for econ, some for other PhDs) who have perfect grades but little research experience with profs, and got rejected almost everywhere. Grades in math and graduate econ classes weigh more than grades in UG econ classes and/or irrelevant classes.

What would you have done differently?
    Spend less time on video games (Delete civ 5!), and spend more time on coursework, research, socializing and exercising.

Eager!

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: A university from a Southeast Asian country. It is well-known in the country but globally unknown.
    Undergrad GPA: 3.36/4
    Type of Grad 1: Master's program in Econ at a decent university in Japan, but unknown globally
    Grad 1 GPA: 4.40/5, kind of 4.0/4.0 in the US
    Type of Grad 2: Master's program in Econ at a US state flagship university.
    Grad 2 GPA: 3.927/4.0
    GRE: V 141/ Q 170/ A 3.0
    Math Courses: Calculus (B), Linear Algebra (A), Stat (B) taking in the US: Intro to Real Analysis I, II (A, A), Intro to Abstract Algebra (A), Grad level Math Stats I, II (A, in progress)
    Econ Courses: Mostly everything
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation: my former advisor from Grad 1 and advisor from Grad 2, both are good, the third one is probably good.
    Research Experience: 3 semesters working as a Grad RA. Doing thesis in undergrad, and both Grad. Have 3 working papers and 2 papers is in progress.
    Teaching Experience: 1 semesters working as a TA in Japan.
    Research Interests: Everything related to development, labor economics, and agricultural economics
    SOP: OK
    Other:

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Wisconsin AAE with RAship, Iowa State, NCSU (get into the second round of funding offer but refuse to take it), Bocconi and Master in Mathematics at the current institution with TAship
    Waitlists: UC Davis ARE (just got rejected)
    Rejections: BU, NYU, Wisconsin Econ, UIUC
    Pending:
    Attending: Wisconsin AAE
    Comments: I am happy about Wisconsin AAE.
    Wisconsin AAE is a good place since I am going to be assigned to work with an advisor who knows a lot about the work I am intending to do. I was not even 100% serious about applying, because I was so busy with my RA work. And I had some personal reasons to stay at the same institution for a Master in Maths. I don't retake GRE, I took it 2 years ago in Japan.

Probably working harder in college.
    I don't think I can get into any better school with my undergrad GPA. Wisconsin is good enough for me because the program is good and I will have a chance to take classes in their econ department. Anyway, I don't wish to change anything, because I am happy with what I've already had.

Eager!

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Honours Econ at Mid-tier Canadian research school
    Undergrad GPA: 4.07/4.3
    Type of Grad: Took grad Health Economics elective
    Grad GPA: A+
    GRE: 162Q/170V/5.5AW
    Math Courses: Calculus I & II (A+), Linear Algebra (A-), Stats I & II (A)
    Econ Courses: Advanced Micro (A+), Advanced Macro (A+), Introductory and Intermediate Micro/Macro sequence (A/A+ in all), two semesters of Econometrics (A+, A), range of field courses on Public Finance, Labour and Development (A- to A+ in all).
    Other Courses: Various philosophy, political science and liberal arts courses (A- to A+ in all)
    Letters of Recommendation: Apparently very good given results. One well-known prof that I took two field courses from. Another less well known but was my honours advisor, taught me advanced theory courses and knows me well personally.
    Research Experience: Honours thesis, 8 months as part-time RA, 1-year work experience in Public Policy role.
    Teaching Experience: Economics dept tutor for first and second year courses.
    Research Interests: Public Finance, Public Policy, Labour, Development
    SOP: Good. Talked about current work experience, drew connections between my undergrad research and current work in public policy and RA, future research interests.
    Other: Won a couple undergrad research awards in department.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    LSE MSc Econ and Philosophy (no funding), Paris School of Econ APE (no funding), U of T MA ($$), Queens MA ($$), McGill MA ($$)
    Waitlists: None
    Rejections: None
    Attending: LSE
    Comments:
    Very happy with my results. Consensus here was that I was a shoe-in for Canadian schools, on the bubble for European ones. I feel like LSE is worth the money for prestige/connections alone; I’m not dead-set on academic econ, and could be looking at the NGO/Public Sector or Public Policy PhD route, in which LSE has a big advantage over the other programs.
    Also, given the emphasis around here on taking as many math courses as possible, a piece of evidence that you can get into top-tier MA programs with only a moderate math background.

Applied to a PhD program, just to see what would happen, given that I had no rejects for MA.

Eager!

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Finance Business Canadian
    Undergrad GPA: 3.7/4.3
    Type of Grad: Economics at mid-tier Canadian Business School
    Grad GPA: 4.1/4.3 (equiv: 3.95/4.00)
    GRE: 166Q/167V/5.0AW
    Math Courses: Calculus I & II & III (A), Linear Algebra (A), Business Stats (A), Real Analysis (A), Probability (A+),
    Econ Courses: Advanced Micro (A-), Advanced Macro (A+), Introductory Micro/Macro sequence (A+ in all), Intermediate Macro I & II (A+), Undergrad Econometrics (A+). Graduate Classes: Time Series (A+), Cross Sectional & Panel Econometrics (A+), International Macro (A), Monetary Econ (A-)

Letters of Recommendation: One shining letter from an Assistant Econ prof, One great letter from a regionally well-know Canadian Econ prof, one good letter from a very high profile full US professor with top international reputation
    Research Experience: Master's thesis, 4 different RAships (between 3-4 years)
    Teaching Experience: TA in Undergrad and Grad econometrics
    Research Interests: International Macro & Finance
    Work Experience: Five years in various investment finance research internships/jobs

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    UCLA Anderson ($$$), UToronto Econ ($$), UMinnesota Econ ($$), Wisconsin-Madison Econ ($$), Queens Econ ($$$), UBC Econ ($$), Rochester Econ ($), USC Econ ($$$), Boston College Econ ($$),
    Waitlists: Cornell Applied Econ, got interview calls from Carnegie Mellon, Minnesota and Michigan Business Schools but I rejected all of them
    Rejections: Duke, HBS, NYU Stern, Columbia Business, Haas, Purdue (?), UCSD, Kellogg, Michigan Econ, Wharton, Brown
    Attending: UCLA Anderson

Sunny LA, can't complain geographically. Had to split my application list with another candidate who was applying that same year and we had letters in common. He applied higher/more aggressive and got a better placement but hey that's life.

What would you have done differently? It's kinda random and it's very very much about the letters.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    University located in Northeast Asia, well-known within my home country
    Undergrad GPA: 4.07/4.30 (3.92/4.00)
    Type of Grad: Same as my undergraduate institution, did take courses at the MA-level without intending to finish with a MA degree
    Grad GPA: 4.30/4.30 (4.00/4.00) (6 courses, 18 credits)
    GRE: V 163 / Q 170 / W 5.0
    Math Courses: Math for Economics(A-), Introduction to Statistics(A+), Statistical Methods(A+), Calculus(A-), Linear Algebra(Statistics department, A+), Linear Algera 1 and 2 (Mathematics department, A+ and A0), Mathematical Statistics(A0) Stochastic Process(A+), Analysis (1) (A0), Convex Analysis(Graduate level, A+)
    Econ Courses: 1) Undergrad: Introduction to Micro and Macro (both A+), Intermediate Micro and Macro(A+ and A0), Development Economics (A0), Money and Banking(A+), International Finance(A+), International Trade (A+), Industrial Organization(A0), Game Theory(A0), Econometrics (1) and (2) (Both A0), Dynamic Economics(A0), Dynamic Macroeconomics(B+), Honors Program in Economics(A0). Public Finance(A+), Graduate Microeconomics and Macroeconomics(Both A+), Topics in Macroeconomics(Graduate, A+), Graduate Public Finance(A+), Graduate Econometrics 1(A+)
    Other Courses: Various courses ranging from Politics, French, Law and etc. Grades ranging from A+ to B+
    Letters of Recommendation: (For the institution I am attending) One from my advisor, One from a professor also affiliated with a US University, One from the advisor of the honor’s club I was a member of.
    Research Experience: Honor’s thesis at the undergraduate level, Won prizes at two paper competitions, RA in a joint project between my university and the central bank of my home country
    Teaching Experience: Teaching assistant for two professors for total of four semesters. TA for junior/senior level course (Public Finance) and sophomore-level course(Macroeconomics)
    Research Interests: Public Finance, Labor Economics, and Applied Microeconomics
    SOP: Started with a very general question that I was interested in for a long time. Then mentioned that my motivation to study further stems from that question. Went on to mention what my research experiences are and how they relate to the question that I seek to answer. Afterwards, I mentioned some of my academic achievements and skills. I customized the last paragraph differently among schools, mentioning certain faculty members that I am interested in working with in particular.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    Columbia($$$)
    Waitlists: Northwestern(Eventually rejected at 4/20)
    Rejections: Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, U of Chicago, UPenn, NYU, U of Michigan-Ann Arbor (Everywhere but the two schools above)
    Attending: Columbia
    Comments: Very happy with the outcome and relieved at the same time. I felt that Columbia would be a perfect fit for pursing graduate studies. Also, had it not been for the only acceptance I got from Columbia, I would be thinking about applying for the next application cycle.

- Perhaps I should have mixed in some Business schools as well. After application I have found out that some Business schools provide courses and research areas that I am interested in.
    - Apply to a few more schools. One thing that I did terribly I this application cycle is dispersing risk in terms of number of schools. Probably would have tried about 4-5more schools.
    - I took most of the advanced mathematics courses starting my junior year. Maybe I should have taken more courses starting from earlier years.

Good post? Yes | No

Nice work

Good post? Yes | No

Dude, you're a genius with your results although playing video games !?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information