Sponsored Ad:

Thread: math grades evaluation for research assistants positions

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

math grades evaluation for research assistants positions

Sponsored Ad:
    hi all,

I'd like to get evaluations on my math grades as to how they are for applying for RA positions (positions on nber, siepr, etc.), and advice as to which electives to take.

So far:
    Calculus I (A), Calculus II (A), Calculus III (A), Multivariate Analysis (A), Matrix Algebra (C, B), Linear Algebra (A), Abstract Algebra (A) ,Introductory Proof course (C), Discrete Math (B), Differential Equations (B), Linear Programming (W,A), Real Analysis I (A), Real Analysis II (A), Advanced Probability (A), Statistical Inference (A) Topology (A)

How does this look? I was struggling a lot but I managed to pull my grades up in more advanced courses (got As the past two semesters).

I was told by others at my school that I have solid research/programming experience, but will add onto here if needed. But for now, I'm just wondering if my math grades will give me a trouble in applying for the RA positions (my GPA is around 3.65 I believe). Also any advice as to which electives to take? (in need of 1 or 2 more)

Thanks!
    Last edited by econphdprep; 05-18-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Good post? Yes | No

Re: math grades evaluation for research assistants positions

Quote Originally Posted by econphdprep View Post
    hi all,

I'd like to get evaluations on my math grades as to how they are for applying for RA positions (positions on nber, siepr, etc.), and advice as to which electives to take.

So far:
    Calculus I (A), Calculus II (A), Calculus III (A), Multivariate Analysis (A), Matrix Algebra (C, B), Linear Algebra (A), Abstract Algebra (A) ,Introductory Proof course (C), Discrete Math (B), Differential Equations (B), Linear Programming (W,A), Real Analysis I (A), Real Analysis II (A), Advanced Probability (A), Statistical Inference (A) Topology (A)

How does this look? I was struggling a lot but I managed to pull my grades up in more advanced courses (got As the past two semesters).

I was told by others at my school that I have solid research/programming experience, but will add onto here if needed. But for now, I'm just wondering if my math grades will give me a trouble in applying for the RA positions (my GPA is around 3.65 I believe). Also any advice as to which electives to take? (in need of 1 or 2 more)

Thanks!

Your math is enough. Maybe take more computer science/programming since RA is more practical and requires more data techniques.

Good post? Yes | No

bump..

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

It's good enough, in my opinion. As long as you pass the minimum bar, what matters much more is your previous research experience

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by mathenomics View Post
    It's good enough, in my opinion. As long as you pass the minimum bar, what matters much more is your previous research experience
    thanks! it's relieving to hear that my math grades are good enough for RA positions (if that's what you meant, right?). Can I ask - what do you mean by the minimum bar?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by econphdprep View Post
    what do you mean by the minimum bar?
    you're above it, so I wouldn't worry

Trying to make mom and pop proud laborsabre's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

I second mathenomics. If you have sufficient fluency (and can show proficiency either through past work product/experience or through passing some sort of skills test) in R, STATA, Python or some other equivalent that will be the biggest factor.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Yup, you're fine on math. Seconding that the more important marginal improvement here is anything you can do to boost your coding and research background.

Thread Information