Urch Forums

a B in Differential Equations

econphdprep

Hello all,

I was wondering how a B in Differential Equations will be considered when applying for PhD/RA-Ship.

I was close to getting an A but unfortunately ended up with a B+ (which led to a B since my school doesn't have +/- system.). Just as a reference, I've struggled a lot in the beginning but managed to get straight A's in the math courses that I have taken the past two semesters, including: Real Analysis I and II, Abstract Algebra, Proof-based Linear Algebra, Mathematical Probability, Topology, Linear Programming, and Combinatorics

I took it about a year ago, and I was thinking about taking Measure Theory since it includes difference equations so I was wondering whether it will be a good sign if I get an A in this course despite the B in Diff Eq.

Please let me know what your thoughts are!

Don't think it matters. Many students wouldn't even have ODE in their transcripts because the topic might have been included in a course with linear algebra.

You'll need to get very far into measure theory before anything related to ODEs come up. These topics are not intrinsically related.

Don't think it matters. Many students wouldn't even have ODE in their transcripts because the topic might have been included in a course with linear algebra.

You'll need to get very far into measure theory before anything related to ODEs come up. These topics are not intrinsically related.

thanks for your thought! would you recommend that i take a different elective then?

Measure theory can be somewhat useful, but if your research interests closer to the empirical side, it won't be as useful as spending more time on programming or research experience.

I suggest taking measure theory if you're forced to take another math elective. Otherwise, focus on econ.