See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GRE 167Q, Retake or No??

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Re: GRE 167Q, Retake or No??

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by mathenomics View Post
    Stanford’s website says “If you do not score in at least the 92nd percentile on the quantitative section, we recommend that you re-take the exam and try to improve your score”
    Quote Originally Posted by chateauheart View Post
    Nope. Ignore Stanford's website. I know for a fact that they've admitted students below the 85th percentile in GRE Quant. I know for a fact that the GRE isn't even used for faculty evaluations in at least one top 5 program (i.e. it's not presented in the information sheet sent to faculty). Use your common sense: The GRE exam is just not that big of a deal, the math tested is almost completely irrelevant, and the idea that any top 5 school would even have a cut-off is presumptuous. Any candidate who's competitive for top 5 programs will have *much* clearer signals of quantitative ability elsewhere in their profile.
    Further on the points made by Chateauheart, here are two quotes from Stanford's website.
    We do not use any mechanical formulas to evaluate your application. We do not reject an application because of failing to meet any simple criterion, such as the quantitative GRE score or a grade-point average.
    Most successful applications score above the 95th percentile on the quantitative exam, but this is not a fixed requirement.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Nope. Ignore Stanford's website. I know for a fact that they've admitted students below the 85th percentile in GRE Quant. I know for a fact that the GRE isn't even used for faculty evaluations in at least one top 5 program (i.e. it's not presented in the information sheet sent to faculty). Use your common sense: The GRE exam is just not that big of a deal, the math tested is almost completely irrelevant, and the idea that any top 5 school would even have a cut-off is presumptuous. Any candidate who's competitive for top 5 programs will have *much* clearer signals of quantitative ability elsewhere in their profile.

University admissions websites are often written by admins or assistants who don't have a role in departmental admissions. "score in ...x percentile" isn't even a well-defined statement for discrete scores; 167 spans 92th to 95th.
    Thanks for your input. And, yep 167 is 92nd percentile.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

University admissions websites are often written by admins or assistants who don't have a role in departmental admissions. "score in ...x percentile" isn't even a well-defined statement for discrete scores; 167 spans 92th to 95th.
    Thanks for the helpful insight!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information