See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GRE 167Q, Retake or No??

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

GRE 167Q, Retake or No??

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi guys,

I just took my GRE and received Q: 167 and V: 155.
    As far as I have heard, verbal does not matter much and 155 shouldn't matter much; correct me if I'm wrong please.
    I know 167 for quant gets me into the door but nothing exceptional.
    So I was wondering if I should retake the GRE and try to receive a higher score on quant?
    I have solved several ETS powerprep full practice exams and thought today's quant sections were definitely harder (maybe because I was nervous and etc). So I think I would be able to get a higher score if I retake it.
    How do you guys think? Should I just get over it and focus on SOPs and my research (I am doing summer research with two professors)?
    I am going for top 15-40 econ PhD programs.

Thanks for any input!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: GRE 167Q, Retake or No??

If you have the time and money, give it another shot. Beyond that, it really isn't worth the time and effort. 167 is 93rd percentile if I'm not mistaken; should be sufficient at most places.

With regards to Verbal, that is correct. Only a terribly low score will raise some questions (think mid to low 140s).

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks for your input tutonic!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

You should be fine for top 40 programs. For top 15, you may want to raise that verbal by just a little bit (learning 50 new vocab a day should do the trick). According to UCLA (a top 15 program) "Our admitted students have, on average, GRE scores that average in the 80th percentile in the verbal, 94th percentile in the quantitative, and 5.0 or above in the analytical sections." https://economics.ucla.edu/graduate/prospective-students

So for top 15, you're right in line for quant. An 80th percentile verbal is around a 159-160 I think, which could be achieved by just learning vocab.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

GRE Verbal is virtually irrelevant for econ admissions. Pulsars is right that top econ applicants (and math/physics) do tend to have high GRE verbal scores, but this is almost entirely a second-order effect of the high intellectual requirements and entry barriers in these disciplines; that doesn't necessarily reflect admissions preferences. As an example, the verbal section is actually used in sociology admissions, but top PhD sociology verbal scores are 3-7 points lower than top econ PhDs, simply because of self-selection. Intelligent people don't study sociology.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by chateauheart View Post
    GRE Verbal is virtually irrelevant for econ admissions. Pulsars is right that top econ applicants (and math/physics) do tend to have high GRE verbal scores, but this is almost entirely a second-order effect of the high intellectual requirements and entry barriers in these disciplines; that doesn't necessarily reflect admissions preferences. As an example, the verbal section is actually used in sociology admissions, but top PhD sociology verbal scores are 3-7 points lower than top econ PhDs, simply because of self-selection. Intelligent people don't study sociology.
    Thanks for your input. What is your take on the quant score though? Do you think it's worth it to retake?

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks for your input pulsars!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

@chateauheart Thanks for correcting me! What’s your thought on how the GRE writing score is viewed? (sorry for hijacking the thread, but I think this question will also be of interest to the OP at some point)

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by chateauheart View Post
    As an example, the verbal section is actually used in sociology admissions, but top PhD sociology verbal scores are 3-7 points lower than top econ PhDs, simply because of self-selection. Intelligent people don't study sociology.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but your example seems to suggest that higher verbal scores provide some indication of intelligence. If so, is there a reason why econ adcoms don't interpret verbal scores as containing some signals of intelligence? Is it because these signals are too weak compared to other stronger signals you can send through math classes, grades, rec letters, etc?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by mathenomics View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but your example seems to suggest that higher verbal scores provide some indication of intelligence. If so, is there a reason why econ adcoms don't interpret verbal scores as containing some signals of intelligence? Is it because these signals are too weak compared to other stronger signals you can send through math classes, grades, rec letters, etc?
    Sounds like a good point. Following on this question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information