Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Advice on where to apply ?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Advice on where to apply ?

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi,

I'm a rising 5th year (lmao) and I'm going to apply to PhD programs this cycle. I was wondering on where you guys think I should apply, more specifically what range.

Large public university, not very competitive PhD program
    GPA: 3.69
    Major: Econ (BBA)
    Minor: Math
    GRE: 160Q (I realize this is super low; I'm retaking and I'm confident I can get around a 166). 161V, 4.5 writing

Econ Coursework: Principles of Micro (B), Principles of Macro (A-), Intermediate Macro (A), Intermediate Micro (A-), Econometrics (A), Economic Theory of Networks (A), Economics Writing Seminar (semester long research paper course. A) Mathematical Economics (A-), Money and Banking (A)

Math Coursework: Calc I (A), Calc II (A), Calc III (B+), Basic Concepts of Math (intro proofing & discrete math, essentially. A-), Linear Algebra (A), Probability Theory (B+). I also got a C+ in a business statistics class first semester sophomore year. it was a bad time in my life (classic excuse) but I wonder how much that will affect my chances. All of my grades were trash that semester, but I've been doing a lot better since.

Courses I'm taking this semester (the semester in which I'll apply): Advanced Calc (real analysis, essentially), Differential Equations I, and a Graduate Econometrics course (PhD level).

Research Experience: Very little. I was an RA for a summer with a poli sci professor, kinda just did lit review and data entry, some basic STATA stuff too. I also wrote my "senior thesis" for that writing seminar class. I was, however, nominated by my prof to present at my school's undergraduate research forum. I have a basic knowledge of Python, R and Stata. My undergrad metrics class used Eviews but I don't even think that's relevant.

Letters: I'm prob gonna ask my Intermediate Macro & Money and Banking prof (both As). He knows me decently well and I was a very good student in his classes. He's also a really good, productive, younger economist. I'm also going to ask my Networks (A) and Math Econ prof (A-). I did an honors module for him and I think he will write a good letter. Lastly, I think I'll get one from my senior writing seminar professor who nominated me to present my research. Overall I think I will have decent letters, not great though.

Any ideas on where I should apply? I'm thinking like 40s-60s range? I am interested in labor and health. My reaches are University of Washington and USC. My "fits" are Georgia, Kentucky, ND, Georgetown, UC Boulder...
    Last edited by biglabor; 07-09-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Advice on where to apply ?

Anyone?

Thread Information