Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Difference between Economic Policy & Public Economics?

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Difference between Economic Policy & Public Economics?

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by dogbones View Post
    tm_member: So you're saying that political economy is always positive and never normative? Are there any subfields in Economics where I can make analyses like the ideal amount of something that benefits society? How about Econometrics where I use math?
    It's not just political economy. Go back to your intro micro textbook - you'll see in the first chapter that the entire academic discipline of economics is described as being focused wholly on positive research. Those with Nobel prizes are given a pass to indulge in some normative commentary now and then. That's about it.

Your goals are not suited to an Econ PhD. It will not train you to do the kind of work you value.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

startz: I did write an entire post about my background, but it was pending review by the moderator and never got posted so I'll just give a nice snapshot here...

Undergraduate was BA in Psychology (GPA: 3.52) in 2010 & BA in Economics (GPA: 3.49) in 2013, both from the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I was an unsuccessful pre-med major for a while so my cumulative undergraduate GPA was 3.22/4.00. I should point out that psychological factors were at play, as I got straight 4.00 grades for my first seven Psychology classes and then motivation dropped as I started Economics courses which dropped my Psychology grades to Bs and even a C in Neurobiology (which was all biochemistry by the way). I got mostly As in Economics too, but certain courses were flops with Bs, I may have even had a C too. Math wasn't stellar either, highest grade I got in math was a B+ in Calculus III (great professor). I did manage to get a B- in a Linear Algebra/Differential Equations class where the mode was a D though, and the only people that got As were engineering majors who already knew the material. Lol. Since my main goal is to go to the best PhD program I can get into (dreaming of Harvard and MIT), I know I need to take a Master's degree in Economics. Lucky for me, UH Manoa is changing their Master's program to suit schedules for people who have jobs, meaning Friday evening and all day Saturday classes. I thought this would allow me to take a math course during each of the four semesters, and I plan to take three math courses next summer (Calculus IV, Linear Alg/Diff Eq, Intro to Advanced Math). That'll give me seven extra math classes with a chance to prove my understanding of math, in addition to the MA degree. My goal is to get as close to a 4.0 GPA as possible, and to best prepare for this, I'm studying math on weekends and some evenings since a few months ago. As I clear more math topics, I'm moving into econ prep as well since that'll be very important also. Btw, after getting a top class education for the PhD program, my career interest is to teach econ as a professor at UH Manoa, since I enjoy living in Hawaii and I have many friends here. I really love the opportunity I'd have to do research as an academic, and having summers off to travel would be great too. The salary for professors are also good, even in a public university in Hawaii. I know that getting into Harvard and MIT are going to take more than a stellar MA degree and math courses, so I have summer internship ideas lined up too, with top picks being either Economic Analyst at the CIA or Research Assistant at the Federal Reserve. I'm beefing up my analysis skills to prepare to apply for the CIA, like R programming, econometrics, and general international knowledge as a place to start. And a summer internship at a place like that is great, but probably won't tip the scale either, so I'm also interested in getting an online MBA from Hawaii Pacific University, which has a very flexible curriculum and I think I could spend two full days each week to tackle two courses per 8-week session. Now with two simultaneous Master's degrees with top GPAs and a summer internship, I think I'd be getting closer to my dream schools. But I also want to have research experience and publications under my belt, so I plan to help faculty with research the whole time I'm working on my MA in Econ, and also have them help me write 2-3 papers of my own that I'm hoping will get published. (Of which one idea was the rail transport route proposal I had mentioned earlier here.) I'm not terribly sure what more I could do, but I'm working ahead to give it my best shot. Thank you for reading about my background, I appreciate it!

Good post? Yes | No

startz: I did write an entire post about my background, but it was pending review by the moderator and never got posted so I'll just give a nice snapshot here...

Undergraduate was BA in Psychology (GPA: 3.52) in 2010 & BA in Economics (GPA: 3.49) in 2013, both from the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I was an unsuccessful pre-med major for a while so my cumulative undergraduate GPA was 3.22/4.00. I should point out that psychological factors were at play, as I got straight 4.00 grades for my first seven Psychology classes and then motivation dropped as I started Economics courses which dropped my Psychology grades to Bs and even a C in Neurobiology (which was all biochemistry by the way). I got mostly As in Economics too, but certain courses were flops with Bs, I may have even had a C too. Math wasn't stellar either, highest grade I got in math was a B+ in Calculus III (great professor). I did manage to get a B- in a Linear Algebra/Differential Equations class where the mode was a D though, and the only people that got As were engineering majors who already knew the material. Lol. Since my main goal is to go to the best PhD program I can get into (dreaming of Harvard and MIT), I know I need to take a Master's degree in Economics. Lucky for me, UH Manoa is changing their Master's program to suit schedules for people who have jobs, meaning Friday evening and all day Saturday classes. I thought this would allow me to take a math course during each of the four semesters, and I plan to take three math courses next summer (Calculus IV, Linear Alg/Diff Eq, Intro to Advanced Math). That'll give me seven extra math classes with a chance to prove my understanding of math, in addition to the MA degree. My goal is to get as close to a 4.0 GPA as possible, and to best prepare for this, I'm studying math on weekends and some evenings since a few months ago. As I clear more math topics, I'm moving into econ prep as well since that'll be very important also. Btw, after getting a top class education for the PhD program, my career interest is to teach econ as a professor at UH Manoa, since I enjoy living in Hawaii and I have many friends here. I really love the opportunity I'd have to do research as an academic, and having summers off to travel would be great too. The salary for professors are also good, even in a public university in Hawaii. I know that getting into Harvard and MIT are going to take more than a stellar MA degree and math courses, so I have summer internship ideas lined up too, with top picks being either Economic Analyst at the CIA or Research Assistant at the Federal Reserve. I'm beefing up my analysis skills to prepare to apply for the CIA, like R programming, econometrics, and general international knowledge as a place to start. And a summer internship at a place like that is great, but probably won't tip the scale either, so I'm also interested in getting an online MBA from Hawaii Pacific University, which has a very flexible curriculum and I think I could spend two full days each week to tackle two courses per 8-week session. Now with two simultaneous Master's degrees with top GPAs and a summer internship, I think I'd be getting closer to my dream schools. But I also want to have research experience and publications under my belt, so I plan to help faculty with research the whole time I'm working on my MA in Econ, and also have them help me write 2-3 papers of my own that I'm hoping will get published. (Of which one idea was the rail transport route proposal I had mentioned earlier here.) I'm not terribly sure what more I could do, but I'm working ahead to give it my best shot. Thank you for reading about my background, I appreciate it!

Good post? Yes | No

startz: I posted a long reply with my background but it needs moderator approval first. Is there some way I can post without getting moderator approval?

Good post? Yes | No

(1/7) Undergraduate was BA in Psychology (GPA: 3.52) in 2010 & BA in Economics (GPA: 3.49) in 2013, both from the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I was an unsuccessful pre-med major for a while so my cumulative undergraduate GPA was 3.22/4.00. I should point out that psychological factors were at play, as I got straight 4.00 grades for my first seven Psychology classes and then motivation dropped as I started Economics courses which dropped my Psychology grades to Bs and even a C in Neurobiology (which was all biochemistry by the way).

Good post? Yes | No

(2/7) I got mostly As in Economics too, but certain courses were flops with Bs, I may have even had a C too. Math wasn't stellar either, highest grade I got in math was a B+ in Calculus III (great professor). I did manage to get a B- in a Linear Algebra/Differential Equations class where the mode was a D though, and the only people that got As were engineering majors who already knew the material. Lol.

Good post? Yes | No

(3/7) Since my main goal is to go to the best PhD program I can get into (dreaming of Harvard and MIT), I know I need to take a Master's degree in Economics. Lucky for me, UH Manoa is changing their Master's program to suit schedules for people who have jobs, meaning Friday evening and all day Saturday classes. I thought this would allow me to take a math course during each of the four semesters, and I plan to take three math courses next summer (Calculus IV, Linear Alg/Diff Eq, Intro to Advanced Math).

Good post? Yes | No

(3/7) Since my main goal is to go to the best PhD program I can get into (dreaming of Harvard and MIT), I know I need to take a Master's degree in Economics. Lucky for me, UH Manoa is changing their Master's program to suit schedules for people who have jobs, meaning Friday evening and all day Saturday classes. I thought this would allow me to take a math course during each of the four semesters, and I plan to take three math courses next summer (Calculus IV, Linear Alg/Diff Eq, Intro to Advanced Math)...

Good post? Yes | No

Since my main goal is to go to the best PhD program I can get into (dreaming of Harvard and MIT), I know I need to take a Master's degree in Economics. Lucky for me, UH Manoa is changing their Master's program to suit schedules for people who have jobs, meaning Friday evening and all day Saturday classes. I thought this would allow me to take a math course during each of the four semesters, and I plan to take three math courses next summer (Calculus IV, Linear Alg/Diff Eq, Intro to Advanced Math).

Good post? Yes | No

Sorry guys, my posts are already not showing... please get them published, Mr. Moderator!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information