Urch Forums

Overlapping classes?

therealslimkt

I've seen posts where people advise taking real analysis and grad micro together because they have overlap and you can study for both simultaneously. Is this true? Independently, is there any other pair of classes which have a large overlap and if taken together, would make each other easier?

There is some overlap between RA and micro, but it's more in the proof methods. I'm not sure the gains are that great, though, because it depends on the timing of what's taught in each class. Similarly, you could do econometrics and probability/statistics together, but I suspect the timing of material in each class doesn't line up nicely enough so that anything is easier. Ideally you want to do RA, probability theory, mathematical statistics before you take PhD level classes in micro and econometrics. Personally, I think it is better to load up on math, stats, and writing classes, or getting some research experience, while in college and leave the PhD classes for when you arrive. Yeah, doing a PhD class as an undergraduate (or MA student) shows you can do it. But I think you are better off using your time in ways that have larger long-term payoffs. Remember: many 'stars' went to liberal arts colleges and didn't get a taste of graduate work until they got to graduate school. Just my 2 cents.

But I think you are better off using your time in ways that have larger long-term payoffs.

Other ways such as? (Grad micro at least is a requirement for my major so its not exactly optional)

There is some overlap between RA and micro, but it's more in the proof methods. I'm not sure the gains are that great, though, because it depends on the timing of what's taught in each class. Similarly, you could do econometrics and probability/statistics together, but I suspect the timing of material in each class doesn't line up nicely enough so that anything is easier. Ideally you want to do RA, probability theory, mathematical statistics before you take PhD level classes in micro and econometrics.

What do you mean by the timing lining up? Naively I would imagine since that any overlapping topic will be taught in one class and then the other, the second time it would be much easier due to the first time it was taught.

Other ways such as? (Grad micro at least is a requirement for my major so its not exactly optional)

Like tbe said, "Personally, I think it is better to load up on math, stats, and writing classes, or getting some research experience, while in college and leave the PhD classes for when you arrive"

What do you mean by the timing lining up? Naively I would imagine since that any overlapping topic will be taught in one class and then the other, the second time it would be much easier due to the first time it was taught.

Real analysis is more a prerequisite to grad micro than a compliment. It teaches you a way to think and write mathematical proofs that you will need to answer questions in grad micro. Doing them simultaneously would be like taking calculus and intro honors physics with calculus at the same time. Sure, there is overlap, but ideally you want to take calculus first.

Real analysis is more a prerequisite to grad micro than a compliment. It teaches you a way to think and write mathematical proofs that you will need to answer questions in grad micro. Doing them simultaneously would be like taking calculus and intro honors physics with calculus at the same time. Sure, there is overlap, but ideally you want to take calculus first.

This is generally true but depends on the exact arrangement at the university. There are differences in nomenclature and syllabus between US colleges and even bigger differences vis-a-vis most other countries; real analysis might in fact be the 2nd or 3rd course in a sequence of proof-based pure math, in which case it can be taken concurrently with grad micro (or not taken at all). I'd say one semester's worth of analysis is a prerequisite to grad micro. Sometimes you can obtain that with an "honors calculus" or "advanced calculus" sequence, especially at top undergrad programs.