Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profile Evaluation for Fall 2019

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation for Fall 2019

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi Chateauheart - thanks for the feedback. I guess what I left out of my profile is as important as what I included, regarding my academic path and career interests. It was actually the subject matter itself, and not methodology, that led me away from political science, and towards economics during my masters.

I already had some economics training when I first began writing my thesis, and basically all of my research ideas were purely economic, which was problematic, as I was doing a political science masters, not economics. Luckily, the guy who ended up being my committee chair has very broad research interests, and he's a comparative political scientist who specializes in Mexican and Cuban politics. I already had some background on Cuban economics and politics, hence why I chose the topic I did. And he was flexible enough to compromise with me: "include some political aspects in your thesis, and I'll give you the go ahead to include some economic - albeit qualitative - chapters in your thesis." All of the topics that really interested me in my thesis pertained to Cuba's economics: their currency system and its different exchange rates, and the distortions this arrangement causes in their economy; their wages and labor (and concomitant distortions), etc.

I've spent the last 3 years or so discussing the pros and cons of economics vs. policy PhDs with different professors and colleagues, so it's not a decision I made over night. I know that I'm not interested in a political science program - I found myself audibly groaning when I read Harvard's PEG program summary and saw that you had to take multiple political science courses. And I know that I'm interested in all things economic, especially theory. I just haven't had much access to assessments of which programs I'll realistically be admitted to, because most students at my LAC don't go on to PhDs in econ, hence why I asked for a profile review. Hopefully this clarifies my interests and the path I want to take going forward. Thanks once again for the feedback!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation for Fall 2019

^^ Sorry for the double post. I wasn't aware of the delay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information