See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to find RA jobs

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Where to find RA jobs

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanps View Post
    Disagree with this - if someone has written a package or made their code freely available online, of course it's fine to use that code (and just cite it in a footnote).
    I don't think applicant12 meant that using someone else's code is like plagiarism as far as being inappropriate/illegal. Rather they meant that by copying someone else's code or just reading a programming book without actually doing practical coding you don't really learn how to program similar to how a plagiarist never really understands the topic. Then when a new situation comes up, the wannabe programmer is unable to to code what they want and similarly the plagiarist is unable to do their homework/paper.

Once you actually understand programming, then it is OK to copy someone else's code (with proper attribution) in order to save time and not re-invent the wheel

Trying to make mom and pop proud laborsabre's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

If you are interested in getting better at R, you can check our the swirl() package which provides within-R exercises to increase your proficiency. You can then go onto Kaggle.com and do some of the great practice data projects on there. They use real-world data and there is tons of discussion if you get stuck. I would agree with applicant12 that the best way to learn coding is to do.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage applicant12's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by zshfryoh1 View Post
    I don't think applicant12 meant that using someone else's code is like plagiarism as far as being inappropriate/illegal. Rather they meant that by copying someone else's code or just reading a programming book without actually doing practical coding you don't really learn how to program similar to how a plagiarist never really understands the topic. Then when a new situation comes up, the wannabe programmer is unable to to code what they want and similarly the plagiarist is unable to do their homework/paper.

Once you actually understand programming, then it is OK to copy someone else's code (with proper attribution) in order to save time and not re-invent the wheel
    Yes this is exactly what I was saying. Sorry for making my earlier comment too easy to misinterpret

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by laborsabre View Post
    If you are interested in getting better at R, you can check our the swirl() package which provides within-R exercises to increase your proficiency. You can then go onto Kaggle.com and do some of the great practice data projects on there. They use real-world data and there is tons of discussion if you get stuck. I would agree with applicant12 that the best way to learn coding is to do.
    I'd like to add by saying that if you're totally new to R, don't despair. It has a very steep learning curve at the start (bordering on overwhelming). Once you're past it, everything is smooth sailing.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by laborsabre View Post
    This is very helpful, I did the first lesson in swirl and it's great because you learn R in R Studio...

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    I'd like to add by saying that if you're totally new to R, don't despair. It has a very steep learning curve at the start (bordering on overwhelming). Once you're past it, everything is smooth sailing.
    That's a sigh of relief for a future "me"... once I get there!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

R has a steep learning curve, but Datacamp flattens that curve. Datacamp is not free, but they give students a steep discount and you only need 2 months to learn the ropes.

That said, I would recommend learning Python over R.

Good post? Yes | No

Hi Kaysa, I actually paid for one month of Datacamp after the free trial, and thought that it was too expensive and the videos weren't the greatest nor did it give as comprehensive an education as I could have with more time...

On the other hand, thank you laborsabre again for swirl! It's allowing me to understand some parts of stackoverflow when I visit them for clarification, and I've even started a notebook for learning coding... can't wait to check out Kaggle.com too!

And Kaysa again, my school uses R in graduate level Econometrics so I definitely have to learn it, but Python is my next language to learn after R. Do you use MATLAB at all? People on this forum have said that MATLAB is the best language for economists, but what are your thoughts?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by dogbones View Post
    Hi Kaysa, I actually paid for one month of Datacamp after the free trial, and thought that it was too expensive and the videos weren't the greatest nor did it give as comprehensive an education as I could have with more

And Kaysa again, my school uses R in graduate level Econometrics so I definitely have to learn it, but Python is my next language to learn after R. Do you use MATLAB at all? People on this forum have said that MATLAB is the best language for economists, but what are your thoughts?
    Hmm did you tell data camp that you are a student? I know some students that get data camp for free because of their student status.

If you are using R for econometrics, I would read ISLR. The book is free, does an excellent job covering the linear regression and logistic regression, and most importantly, it contains code that shows the reader how to use R to run these regressions. It really makes things easy.

If your econometrics course is going to use R for data cleaning, I would recommend learning Hadley’s tidyverse plus piping. It makes data cleaning much easier to do than base R.

Matlab tends to be used mostly by economists that need to code their own empirics. I would not learn it unless you absolutely have to because you can usually do the same thing in R or Python, or even better, someone might have already coded it and deposited in github or cran

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage applicant12's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Kaysa View Post
    I would not learn it unless you absolutely have to because you can usually do the same thing in R or Python, or even better, someone might have already coded it and deposited in github or cran
    Really?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information