Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation (Fall 2019)

leontiefphd

Type of Undergrad: Non-Highly Ranked Public School in Midwest (B.S. in Economics)

Undergrad GPA: 3.72

Math Courses: Calc, Statistics, Econometrics

Econ Courses: Intermediate micro/macro, labor, game theory, several others (All A's)

Type of Grad: Same as Undergrad (Master's in Applied Econ)

Grad GPA: 3.75

GRE: 165 V / 165 Q / 4.5 AW

Math Courses: Econometrics, Microeconometrics, Time Series and Forecasting

Econ Courses: Advanced Micro/Macro, Labor, Game Theory, International

Letters of Recommendation: 3 professors with a good body of published research, and I've done research for all 3 of them.

Research Experience: Undergrad Research Assistant, as well as Graduate Research Assistant

How much is lack of math (Linear Algebra and Real Analysis) going to hurt me in my application?

I'm looking at schools like:

ASU

University of Arizona

UC-Irvine

UC-Santa Cruz

UC-Davis

NCSU

Oregon

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there! I think that you have a good profile--your GRE scores are solid and you are picking realistic schools in my opinion. (Although, I think you may want to add a few lower ranked schools just to up your odds of getting in places). I think your chances at Oregon are very good; I got in to Oregon and my profile wasn't as good as yours. However, not having linear algebra might really hurt you. Some programs won't even accept a person unless they have had linear algebra. So, I think that it will be really important to get that class in somehow ahead of your application process. As far as real analysis goes, I think it is a great signal, but it isn't necessary. I got in plenty of places without real analysis on my application. However, nowhere that I applied allowed anyone in that didn't have linear algebra. Hope that helps! Good luck!

However, not having linear algebra might really hurt you. Some programs won't even accept a person unless they have had linear algebra.

Having linear algebra indirectly (via calculus, statistical theory, metrics or other courses) is fine. As OP completed 3+ master's courses in econometrics, I think it will be presumed that they have enough exposure to linear algebra. Lack of real analysis is the main deficiency here but the master's courses in advanced micro/macro and game theory will mostly compensate for that.

Sufficient math/econ background + RA experience with 3 actively-publishing letter-writers is generally a strong profile. I think OP may even want to add a few higher ranked programs, though it's hard to pin down the range without knowing the ranking and track record of your undergrad/master's institution ("non-highly ranked public school" is a very wide spectrum).

I'm curious about why OP is only looking at PhD programs from public institutions; your list doesn't seem to be based on other factors like research fit or locational preferences. Is this some kind of issue with external/government funding that I don't know of? Being able to add PhDs from private universities will probably increase your flexibility significantly.

Edited by chateauheart