Urch Forums

Low GRE score - acceptable for Master's?

MatthewSinger1

Hi guys,

I usually get around 170Q and 165V on GRE practice tests. I took the test for the first time a few days ago, though, and got 170V and 166Q. Definitely a bit disappointed. While the 170V is nice, Q is a lot more important. I was interested in the London School of Economics - the MSc programs in EME and Economics.

My background is highly quantitative with many courses in statistics and econometrics, so I don't know how important my Q score is. Should I rewrite to try to get 168+ in Q? Or will 166 be sufficient? Any thoughts?

A current Master's student here.

I received the offer from EME with my Q score being 163. Given your Q score of 166 - which is decent, not low - I think that you easily pass the GRE threshold. Do not worry much about it.

Edited by Kazakh

Do you plan to eventually retake it for PhD admissions? (not saying that you should. just asking)

Not immediately although if I opt to apply for a competitive PhD down the road I will retake it. I just am not sure whether I should retake it for this Master's. I have seen results of people getting in with a 166 but I'd like to have certainty. I feel bad since I think this result was anomalous.

Not immediately although if I opt to apply for a competitive PhD down the road I will retake it. I just am not sure whether I should retake it for this Master's. I have seen results of people getting in with a 166 but I'd like to have certainty. I feel bad since I think this result was anomalous.

I was asking because if you were eventually planning to retake it for PhD admissions, then as might as well get it over with now because it'll be even more unpleasant to pick it up again in 1-2 years

I was asking because if you were eventually planning to retake it for PhD admissions, then as might as well get it over with now because it'll be even more unpleasant to pick it up again in 1-2 years

I suppose that's valid. If I were to take it again and receive say, 165 V and 170 Q, would it be a better idea to send in both or only the newer one? I am at least a /bit/ proud of the 170 V.