Urch Forums

I'm currently working on my senior thesis and my advisor finds my research worthy of publication. I plan on working for two years or so upon graduating, and so I might look into publishing during that time period. But I am aware that publishing before PhD is extremely difficult, but say that I managed to do so at a decent journal - will it be a significant factor (more than other factors) that will help me during the application process for top schools? I'm trying to see if it's even worth putting the efforts in publishing before PhD, as the majority of people say it's virtually impossible.

Thanks!

Your point makes sense. But since I'm in the process of preparing myself for applying for phd programs, I would like it if the publication (if it ever happens at a decent journal) will have at least some value that will work favorably for me. Any other thoughts?

I'm confused. So you're currently a senior, and you plan to work two years before applying. Why not put in your best into your thesis until you graduate, and polish it during those two years when you're working?

I'm confused. So you're currently a senior, and you plan to work two years before applying. Why not put in your best into your thesis until you graduate, and polish it during those two years when you're working?

Yeah that was my plan. And if I were to publish, I was planning on trying to at least have received the "revise and resubmit" before applying to PhD (and I thought that this will work favorably for me during the admissions process), but I read somewhere else that being in the process of publication or publication at anywhere doesn't add value in PhD admissions - is this true?

If you have published in a decent journal, it will certainly help your application. So will an R&R.

You are likely to need ongoing advice from your advisor for this to work. There is more to getting an article ready to submit than doing the research.

BTW, you should take what your advisor is telling you as a significant compliment.

It's definitely a strong signal for admissions if it works out, but I'd get a second opinion from other professors before investing your time into the project (particularly if your current adviser is inactive or not an expert in the particular field.)

Entry-level full time work can be very demanding, and you don't want to lose sleep on a project that you can work on more cost-efficiently after passing prelims (with better econometric skills, possible co-authors, etc.), or perhaps even publish in a better journal in the future.

In the long run, it's the job market that matters to your career, with your PhD program rank having only a secondary role, so you shouldn't spend too much time to optimize the latter.