Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Average masters, excellent undergrad performance - how should I apply to PhD?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Average masters, excellent undergrad performance - how should I apply to PhD?

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi guys,

I am planning to apply to PhD in Economics programs this fall. But the thing is, I am only an average student from a top US master's, which severely limits my chances of admission to top 30. So, I am thinking about applying as if I had no master's education and just an undergraduate degree. This idea looks fine to me as I was one of the top students at my undegrad institution in Asia, and even got a PhD offer from Texas-Austin at the time (I declined it at the time because I was way too confident about myself). What do you think?

If I had performed better in PhD courses - I took 4 of them and got B+ in all - what I have done at my master's could be considered very good. I wrote a quality capstone paper and have been an RA since June. But the GPA of 3.50 ruins everything.

I am also considering full-time RA positions. But can those compensate for my average master's performance? And if yes, how much? Will top 30 be my ultimate limit?

Thank you.

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Average masters, excellent undergrad performance - how should I apply to PhD?

Do not hide the master's, doing so is academic fraud. You could be "booted" from a PhD program if/when they find out you lied.

Four B+'s in PhD courses is not a deal breaker. It likely does limit you to schools outside the top 20 or so. If your letters are good and your research is solid, someone will take a chance.

Thread Information