Urch Forums

Math major for signalling

therealslimkt

I'm considering taking a few extra courses in order to gain a math major. Specifically I would take complex analysis and two semesters of algebra (every other math course required is one I'm taking anyway). Is this worth it, given that those classes are largely not relevant to econ as far as I know? Is there some signalling value to a math major or to these unrelated math courses that makes it worthwhile to take them?

Unless you have an intrinsic interest in abstract algebra and complex analysis, l don’t think 3 courses are worth the pain. I personally completed my math major because it only requires one extra course (first semester of algebra) than what I would’ve done anyways.

For most efficient signaling, take topology and measure theory. I suspect numerical analysis and more programming/database classes would be more useful if you’re doing empirical work (including structural). Or it might just be a good idea not loading up on hard courses per semester so you can have a higher grade in the ones you do take.