Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

  1. #11
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

    Sponsored Ad:
    Ah, okay. I misunderstood the stance you took in your first post. I agree with you. Thank you for your thorough explanation.

    Do you think the other two GRE subscores have any merit in the realm of Economics?

  2. #12
    Within my grasp!
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    261
    Rep Power
    5


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by EXP View Post
    Ah, okay. I misunderstood the stance you took in your first post. I agree with you. Thank you for your thorough explanation.

    Do you think the other two GRE subscores have any merit in the realm of Economics?
    As long as you don't do terribly bad (anything above 150V & 3.5 or 4 AW is fine) such that it raises some red flags, they are pretty much useless. It's interesting to note that GRE verbal scores are actually a better predictor of success - there was a paper on it from a couple years ago -, probably since there's greater variation in the verbal gre scores as the majority of applicants score in the range of 165-170 for Q.

  3. #13
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    As long as you don't do terribly bad (anything above 150V & 3.5 or 4 AW is fine) such that it raises some red flags, they are pretty much useless. It's interesting to note that GRE verbal scores are actually a better predictor of success - there was a paper on it from a couple years ago -, probably since there's greater variation in the verbal gre scores as the majority of applicants score in the range of 165-170 for Q.
    That's what I had assumed when I posed the question. In a few Math PhD Admissions forums, it always seemed like those who got 170s on Verbal (and high 160s in general) were much more likely to get good admits.

  4. #14
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    6


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

    Hey everyone! Does anyone know if there is any benefit to getting applications in earlier than the deadline?

  5. #15


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaacn18 View Post
    Hey everyone! Does anyone know if there is any benefit to getting applications in earlier than the deadline?
    The consensus is that there is no benefit from turning things in early unless there is a special deadline for some fellowships/scholarships (the Knight scholarship at Stanford has an early deadline for economics PhD applicants). I have heard people on here say that ad coms do not look at applications until after the deadline, and even then generally not until early January if the deadline was mid-December.

  6. #16
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    3


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

    Anyone started submitting their applications yet?

  7. #17
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

    Yup! Got em all in a little earlier than I thought I would, actually. Once I started rolling I just kept on going, but the first deadlines aren't til the beginning of December... and, it seemed like the lower down in the rankings you go the later the deadlines get.

  8. #18
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

    As of this morning, all of my applications - including test scores and recommendations - are complete! Now to wait ~67 days.

  9. #19
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

    I have no idea how to not obsess about what's going to happen between now and then...

  10. #20
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    I have no idea how to not obsess about what's going to happen between now and then...
    Occupy (distract) yourself with something else. Going on sites like this won't help with your obsession if you don't need any advice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2019 PhD Applicant Sweat Thread
    By tm_associate in forum PhD in Business
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Today, 06:43 PM
  2. Admission Sweat Thread 2014
    By tm_member in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 3957
    Last Post: 05-16-2014, 03:29 PM
  3. Admission "No-Sweat" Thread 2014 | something better to do
    By flexpref in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-22-2014, 07:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •