Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2019 Admission Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Ah, okay. I misunderstood the stance you took in your first post. I agree with you. Thank you for your thorough explanation.

Do you think the other two GRE subscores have any merit in the realm of Economics?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by EXP View Post
    Ah, okay. I misunderstood the stance you took in your first post. I agree with you. Thank you for your thorough explanation.

Do you think the other two GRE subscores have any merit in the realm of Economics?
    As long as you don't do terribly bad (anything above 150V & 3.5 or 4 AW is fine) such that it raises some red flags, they are pretty much useless. It's interesting to note that GRE verbal scores are actually a better predictor of success - there was a paper on it from a couple years ago -, probably since there's greater variation in the verbal gre scores as the majority of applicants score in the range of 165-170 for Q.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    As long as you don't do terribly bad (anything above 150V & 3.5 or 4 AW is fine) such that it raises some red flags, they are pretty much useless. It's interesting to note that GRE verbal scores are actually a better predictor of success - there was a paper on it from a couple years ago -, probably since there's greater variation in the verbal gre scores as the majority of applicants score in the range of 165-170 for Q.
    That's what I had assumed when I posed the question. In a few Math PhD Admissions forums, it always seemed like those who got 170s on Verbal (and high 160s in general) were much more likely to get good admits.

Good post? Yes | No

Hey everyone! Does anyone know if there is any benefit to getting applications in earlier than the deadline?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Isaacn18 View Post
    Hey everyone! Does anyone know if there is any benefit to getting applications in earlier than the deadline?
    The consensus is that there is no benefit from turning things in early unless there is a special deadline for some fellowships/scholarships (the Knight scholarship at Stanford has an early deadline for economics PhD applicants). I have heard people on here say that ad coms do not look at applications until after the deadline, and even then generally not until early January if the deadline was mid-December.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information