Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Range of funding in top 15 programs

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Range of funding in top 15 programs

Sponsored Ad:
    I am curious as to what sort of range (if any) exists in the funding offered to the admits for the top 15 programs or so. Perhaps this differs between the very top 5 or whatever and the next 10 or so. I am primarily talking about funding by the university or department itself, although perhaps it is the case that those admitted to the very top programs have a much easier chance getting external funding? Does anyone have some insight? Cheers

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Range of funding in top 15 programs

The key breakdown is public versus private. In general, private pays noticeably better.
    Other than NSF fellowships, there isn't a whole lot of external funding for American students.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Right I see I wrote very ambiguously. I meant to ask: what is the range of funding WITHIN some of the top 15 programs or so. That is, what is the difference in offered funding between the admit, say, Harvard likes best, and 40th best (or however many they admit).

economist

Good post? Yes | No

I believe that most of the better funded programs make pretty similar offers to everyone. This is less true of less well-funded programs. Also, MIT is a bit of an exception as they have historically admitted some students without funding.

Good post? Yes | No

Could you expand a little more on the MIT situation if possible please? I was vaguely aware from reading past year's results threads that funding information is often not released for a while after admissions decisions in MIT's case, but I didn't know some portion of the class didn't ever end up getting funding. Are TA/RA jobs made available?

economist

Good post? Yes | No

The MIT web site says

Does the program offer financial aid? Are international students eligible?
    Yes, financial aid is offered, and international students are eligible. Scholarship offers include full tuition for the academic year, twelve-month individual health insurance, and a stipend/salary to cover living expenses for the nine-month academic year. Continuation of financial aid for years two through five is dependent on satisfactory academic progress. In the third through fifth year, financial aid typically takes the form of a Teaching or Research Assistantship.

Does the Economics department fund all graduate students?
    No, the department does not have sufficient financial resources to fund all admitted graduate students. We admit some qualified applicants without providing them with funding. We hope that students in this situation are able to find other funding sources, but recognize that unfortunately this sometimes does not happen.
    That's all I know about current practice.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

At most departments, the first funding offer for all admits will be identical in amount. At a subset of these departments, there's room for upward negotiation, which usually requires you to have a competitive offer from another program. I've heard of increases in anywhere from 5k to 20k per year after renegotiation. Business schools programs seem to have more flexibility for increasing their stipend.
    Last edited by chateauheart; 11-27-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Thread Information