Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Admissions outcomes survey: Please participate!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Admissions outcomes survey: Please participate!

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello Urchers--

Reading the various pieces of advice and profile evaluations on this forum got me thinking about the value of accumulated advice / anecdotes versus quantitative data. So naturally, I wrote a survey to collect information on our applicant profiles and admissions outcomes. This survey will not collect any identifiable information, but it will give us a basis for understanding the applicant pool at various universities and the likelihood that a person with a specific profile would be within the range of accepted applicants. Hopefully it will also give us some information on the relative importance of scores, GPA, letters, SOP quality (fuzzy to measure), personal connections / contact, work and research experience, English proficiency, etc. The survey should accommodate applicants to Economics and Business PhD programs, and is geared towards US programs. If you have specific suggestions (important data points I'm not including, revisions for clarity), please let me know. This is the product of a few hours of quick tinkering, so I'll be shocked if there are no errors. This is not formal research and has not been reviewed by any ethics committees, FYI.

You can access the survey at the link below. Please take it only once, and take it AFTER you have received all of your admission results. This year's cohort will need to wait until March / April to complete the survey, but those of you who are already in PhD programs or who applied in previous cycles can provide information now.

Survey link (via google forms) About you

Good luck to the current applicants, and thank you to anyone who chooses to participate.

(cross-posted in PhD in Business and PhD in Economics)

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Admissions outcomes survey: Please participate!

I think this is a really cool idea! I will definitely fill it out when I get my results. Maybe a mod can even sticky this thread.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Admissions outcomes survey: Please participate!

This is a great initiative, but some of the key questions don't meaningfully distinguish between the applicants on factors that matter. I have PMed you some suggested edits (if possible) for the purpose of collecting more useful data.

Thread Information