Urch Forums

Online Math course reputation?

econhappy

I am working on strengthening weak math grades. I recently took Real Analysis and Linear Algebra I via Harvard Extension school, and next on my mind is probably retaking multivariable calculus. Harvard Extension doesn't offer it this semester, and so I am exploring other options. There is a multivariable course at UT-Austin extension (Sequences, Series, and Multivariable Calculus | University Extension | The University of Texas at Austin) is there any benefit of waiting until Harvard offers it again, or can I take it at UT-Austin, or some other school for that matter, and not risk any eyebrow raises for the sake of reputation ad bouncing around different schools? This course is also self-paced which is a pro for me, I'm not sure if ad coms would be aware of that distinction.

Any other courses you know of that you'd recommend?

As an aside, there is also a more advanced analysis course at the Harvard extension school this semester called "Real Analysis, Convexity, and Optimization" that seems relevant but I'm not sure if I need to do that as a form of going a bit above and beyond, or if I can stick with the basics of fixing my previous bad grades.

Just from browsing through the course outline, the advanced real analysis course is not exactly needed. If you don't have any plans to do theory, you'll probably only use very little of what you will learn in this course, barring stochastic calculus, which appears in full force in first year macro and metrics 2 (time series).

I am working on strengthening weak math grades. I recently took Real Analysis and Linear Algebra I via Harvard Extension school, and next on my mind is probably retaking multivariable calculus. Harvard Extension doesn't offer it this semester, and so I am exploring other options. There is a multivariable course at UT-Austin extension (Sequences, Series, and Multivariable Calculus | University Extension | The University of Texas at Austin) is there any benefit of waiting until Harvard offers it again, or can I take it at UT-Austin, or some other school for that matter, and not risk any eyebrow raises for the sake of reputation ad bouncing around different schools? This course is also self-paced which is a pro for me, I'm not sure if ad coms would be aware of that distinction.

Any other courses you know of that you'd recommend?

As an aside, there is also a more advanced analysis course at the Harvard extension school this semester called "Real Analysis, Convexity, and Optimization" that seems relevant but I'm not sure if I need to do that as a form of going a bit above and beyond, or if I can stick with the basics of fixing my previous bad grades.

I took several math courses from local community colleges, and one online real analysis course from University of Maryland University College. From what I could tell this did not hurt my application in any visible way (meaning I performed approximately as expected during admissions). I think part of it was that UMUC benefits from being associated with University of Maryland, which is a decently well known school with a good economics PhD program. I would recommend checking out UMUC for more courses. It looks like they have a multivariable calculus course: Calculus III (MATH241) | UMUC

I will admit it is a little expensive, but the course I took was well paced and covered useful content. It has definitely helped during my first year.

Good to know!!! Thank you :D
Just from browsing through the course outline, the advanced real analysis course is not exactly needed. If you don't have any plans to do theory, you'll probably only use very little of what you will learn in this course, barring stochastic calculus, which appears in full force in first year macro and metrics 2 (time series).