Urch Forums

NYU vs BU vs UT-Austin for Economics M.A.

Jb123456

The placement record of UT-Austin: Placement

My perception is that the more information there is about the program, the more likely it is that the department actually cares about career outcomes. Given how little NYU and BU convey about their MA programs, I would definitely choose UT-Austin. Besides, there is a very good chance of receiving a substantial tuition reduction there. For me, it is a no-brainer, whether you want a PhD or an industry placement.

Everything I have said so far applies only if we consider these three schools, though. The best MA programs around are Duke, Columbia, and Wisconsin, and there is much more to discuss there. Hit me a PM and I will do my best to share more information. I am a Duke MA graduate.

Depends on your expectation. I would disagree to Kazakh, I think the top MA program is definitely the two MA programs at Uchicago. They have better placement records than Duke, UWM, etc. I have already known about 10 people getting into top 10 Econ programs during the past two years. And to my knowledge, some of the top propective candidates will apply this round or next round, so expect more top school offers. It's simply the case that UChicago is better in ranking and the program is small. There is no BS class for master students so the school knows that you must have done great job if you Aced the classes your took. Though it's less agreed upon that UChicago is good at advising their PhD student, their grad training itself is undeniably good. And also less people would mean more opportunities for RA jobs. But one downside about UChicago is that the competition is fierce, you either end up building up a great profile and getting letter from great professors, or you end up finding that having a PhD in Econ is miserable and hence quit.

• 4 weeks later...
I went to the BU master's program and know a few people that went to NYU program. It's a highly competitive program with 85% of students from China. If your goal is not to enter a top program and enter programs that are below BU or NYU's level, it is probably acceptable. Unless you come in with a very strong background, then it's also possible to get into a top 10 program. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me.