Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Profile Evaluation for lower ranked Economics programs

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Profile Evaluation for lower ranked Economics programs

Sponsored Ad:
    Type of Undergrad: Economics B.S. with Honors (Math & English Double Minor) at small relatively unknown university(regional campus of well-known university)

Undergrad GPA: 4.0/4.0
    Type of Grad:N/A
    Grad GPA: N/A
    GRE: 157Q/160V/4.0AW

Math Courses: Cal I - III, Ordinary Differential Equations, Foundations of Mathematics (proof writing course). Statistics, Math for Business &Economics majors I & II
    Econ Courses: Econometrics, Intermediate Microeconomic Analysis, Intermediate Macroeconomic Analysis (honors component), Independent Study in Environmental Models, Game Theory, several other elective economics courses
    Letters of Recommendation: Honors thesis research advisor, Economics professor (top student in many of his classes including Int. Micro), Honors Program Executive Director (not an economist but stated would give a strong letter as I excelled in Honors program)
    Research Experience: Two conference presentations of original research. One at National Honors conference, and the other at the Economics Scholars Program at the Dallas Federal Reserve. Currently submitting Honors thesis to journals (Econ research advisor thinks it is publishable). This paper will serve as my writing sample.
    Teaching Experience: N/A
    Research Interests: Environmental Economics, International Economic Development, Public Policy
    Concerns: GRE quant score is a problem. I do well in math classes but found the timing on the GRE difficult and didn't feel a retake would have helped score any. Also, lack of Real Analysis.
    Other: I am a non-traditional student (dropped out of high school, went into military in early twenties). SOP is strong and focuses on research experience and future research areas of focus, as well as work ethic gained from military and private sector after the military.

Applying to: I understand the competiveness of these programs and realize I am not the strongest applicant considering my GRE will likely screen me outof many programs. Applying to a wide range of schools (22 in all), including many unranked programs, a few top 75-50, and a few top 50-30 reach schools (my advisor has some contacts at these schools and offered to reach out). I applied to programs which were closely aligned with my research interests which should help. Also applied to a few of the top policy programs as well because I know they typically have relatively lower GRE quant scores and math requirements. I received lots of application fee waivers and many programs accepted unofficial GRE scores so cost wasn't an issue.

Honestly would be thrilled to get in anywhere I applied. I plan on working at a non-profit research institution or in the private sector, but would also be happy at a smaller teaching focused university as well. Any feedback on my chances are appreciated!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation for lower ranked Economics programs

From anecdotal evidence, I had a colleague who had low quant GRE scores and got into a Phd program around 75-50. So I definitely think its possible, The hard part is whether your low GRE scores will result in adcoms simply throwing your application before they look at it. A 157 is 67th percentile.... Your advisor will definitely need to reach out for you to have a chance. Obviously the best path would be to retake the GRE and achieving mid 80th percentile is good enough.

Omw to analyze something

Good post? Yes | No

Can you retake the GRE? That would make a huge difference in your potential.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

I would retake the GRE. Having a low GRE score is more negative in your situation because you come from a (relatively) unknown school. Doing well in a standardized exam will be helpful to compare you among other competitive applicants.

Thread Information