Urch Forums

Econ Grad Programs that accept GMAT instead of GRE

asphd19

Hi everyone,

I have written GMAT as initially, I was planning to only apply to Finance programs.

But recently, I am also interested in some of the Econ programs.

Are there good Econ programs (M.A./M.S. and Ph.D.) that accepts GMAT and GRE both?

Schools that house Econ in their Business school might accept GMAT, but can't find any details of those.

Thanks in advance!

Almost all Economics programmes only accept the GRE, and explicitly state that the GMAT is not a valid alternative; even schools whose programmes are housed in the business school (like Iowa's).

If you are so inclined, you can go through the usnews list of schools to see if any of them actually do.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools/economics-rankings

Note that, while most econ programs don't accept GMAT as a substitute, this has nothing to do with its rigor. GMAT is a harder test than the GRE, especially on its quant part (more variation at the top end). The reason GMAT isn't usually accepted by traditional arts & sciences programs is because of bureaucratic restrictions and path-dependency. Econ programs in b-schools usually don't have this restriction. You'll need to look up each program individually because it's idiosyncratic.