Quant : 800

Verb : I don't remember. I know it is high enough though

Awa : 5.5

Gpa :

Overall : 3.9

Math : 3.93

Econ : 3.95

Domestic

Math : Calc I-III(A-,A), Linear Algebra(A-), Diffy Eq(A), Stats I & II(B+, A), Actuarial Math I & II(A,A), Real Analysis I & II(A-,A), Measure Theory(A), Metric Spaces(A), Advanced Linear(Pending).

Econ : Macro(A), Micro(A), Financial Econ(A), Int'l Trade(A), Game Theory(A), Mathematical Analysis(A), Econometrics(A), Honor's Thesis(A).

We don't have A+'s in our school nor do we break down our grades by 4.0,3.9,3.8 etc etc We go by 4.0, 3.7, 3.3 etc etc

Research : Doing the thesis, but am being held back and unassisted by my own thesis advisor. I'm about this close to just axe him.

TA : Calc TA & Econ TA

SOP : My SOP is a SOP.

LORs : 2 from econ and 1 from the chairman of the math dept. None of them are well known.

Potential LOR from Prof Ehrenberg of Cornell.

Schools : Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, PSU, U Illinois Urbana College, Stanford, U of M, Ohio State, U of Rochester, U of Maryland, NWU, and Duke

Safeties are Cornell & U of Maryland.

Choices based on funding and stress. I choose the schools with the best funding and lowest stress. I don't give a damn between rank 1 and 10 if it means torture and poverty. I also refuse to live in a city

1) Princeton

2) Cornell

3) U of Maryland

4) U of Rochester

5) U of M

6) U of Rochester

7) Everyone else.

• Like 1

American, Mathematical Economics Major

GRE:

Q: 800; V: 600; AWA: 5.5

Math: Calc I-III (B+, A, A); Lin Alg (A); Intro Proofs/Discrete (A); Financial Mathematics (A-); Ordinary Diff Eqs (A-); Partial Diff Eqs (A); Probability (Ongoing, A+ right at midterm); Real Analysis I (Ongoing, A at midterm); Complex Analysis (Ongoing, not sure grade)

Econ: International Trade, Econometrics, History, Independent study on dynamic programming and growth, all the core stuff, all A's

Research: Paper on decision theory forthcoming in undergrad math magazine, lecture on dynamic programming forthcoming in math department lecture series, some assistance to one of my professors on a forthcoming project (nothing big)

Teaching: I don't think it will help me at all, but I have tutored math and econ classes for three years up through intermediate micro and macro and through linear algebra/calc III in math

SOP: Coming along! Since it is one of few things I currently have control over, I am working hard at it regardless of whether or not it carries much weight!

Recs: Three econ profs who have already written letters for me for international scholarships, so hopefully they're good. Maybe a math professor for schools that will accept four.

Applying to: Yale, Northwestern, UC-San Diego, UCLA, Cornell, Minnesota, Brown, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Boston College, Indiana

I would prefer to live in a big city with job opportunities for my fiance (graphic design), and I have become really interested in growth, so Minnesota is tops on my list. Plus, I love cold weather!

Bumpity Bump

Update:

Applied to: Northwestern, UCLA, UCSD, UMN, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State, Brown, IU

In: OSU

Pending: the rest.

• Like 1

Canadian, Economics Major, Mathematics and Statistics Minor

GRE: Q750 (ouch!), V640, AWA: still waiting - went VERY well.

Math: Calculus I-III (A+, A, B), Linear Algebra I-II (A-, A), Differential Equations (A), Probability Theory (A-), Brownian Motion & Diffusion (grad course - ongoing - A+ right now), Stochastic Processes (ongoing - A)

Economics: Intermediate Micro (A, A+), Intermediate Macro (A-, A+), Advanced Micro (A-), Advanced Macro (A+),Intermediate Econometrics (A-), Advanced Econometrics (A+), Mathematical Economics (A), International Monetary Theory (A+), Empirical Research - Inquiry (A+). This year: International Trade, Economic Development, Game Theory, Topics in Monetary Economics, History of Economics, Taxation, Honours Thesis

Class Averages: Economics and Math both tend to be in the mid-to-low 60s.

Research: Co-authoring a paper with two well known professors (macro and experimental). Honours thesis next semester.

Teaching: TA introductory micro and macro

Recs: Glowing from the two profs I do research with, and still have to find one more - either Inquiry prof (who i wrote an excellent Lit review for), or trade/development prof.

SOPs: its in my head somewhere... too busy working (or rather, coming up with an idea) on SSHRC application.

Applying to: MA/Doctoral stream MAs at UBC, U of T, ... maybe Queens (but just for the MA). I don't know where else to apply. My GRE Q750 was not very hot. But i have little desire to shell out another ~CDN$200 to take it again. Plus, not many Canadian students without MAs in top US schools. Likewise, i don't need to show GREs to Canadian universities.

#1 Choice: UBC. Very strong in international trade, int'l finance, and development, with a good sized game theory group. I live near the Toronto area, so i don't really have too great a desire to go to UofT. Would love to go to an east coast school (if not to UBC), as fiance is still in Toronto, and would like to be closer to him. But i'm not picky!

I know this may sound silly, but with my profile, would it be worthwhile to make an extenuating circumstance plee in my SOP/application? I was undergoing LOTS of surgery last year and was quite doped up... and some of my marks suffered (ie. B in Calc III, A- in math econ, and i dropped real analysis)... i know i know! it sounds silly... still, would it work for or against me?

American, economics major, 2005 grad, junior year at LSE

GRE: 800Q/670V/??

GPA: 3.83 overall, >3.9 within major (haven't calculated this yet)

Math: Calc III (B+), Abstract Algebra (B+), Linear Algebra (A), Probability (A), Mathematical Statistics (A), Advanced Topics in Statistics (A), Real Analysis (A-/B+ at LSE), Game Theory (A+/B+ at LSE, which lists game theory as a math course)

Econ: Intro to Econ (A-), Intermediate Macro (B+), Intermediate Micro (A), Labor Econ (A), International Econ (A-/B+ at LSE), Econometrics (A-/A at LSE), Economic Growth (A), Intl Finance (A, grad level course), Advanced Micro (A), Honors Thesis (A, A)

*LSE gives a coursework grade and a final exam grade separately, not combined

Research: Departmental award for senior thesis, co-authoring empirical paper with Intl Finance prof whom I researched with for the year

Teaching: Presented senior thesis, about it

Recs: One from the prof I'm writing the paper with, one from my thesis advisor, one from poly sci prof whose grad IPE course I took and wrote a long research paper for

Applying to: UChicago, MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Michigan. Also applying to law school, hoping for joint JD/PhD program at these locations (not sure if it's possible to combine with Princeton, though)

SOP: Just getting started, unfortunately. Law school apps and studying for the GRE took all my spare time.

• Like 1

GRE: 800Q 560V 6.0AWA

GMAT: 760 (Q48V47)

GPA: 3.75 overall, 3.8 econ

Math: Calc 1, 2, 3 (A's), Linear Algebra (A), Probability Theory (A), Econometrics 1 and 2 (A's), Fluctuation and Forecasting (A)

- TA for intermediate macroeconomic theory, internship in finance

- no research under my belt

applying for econ M.A. at NYU and Duke

financial economics M.A. at U of Toronto

Master's in Finance at RIT, Vanderbilt, Univ of Florida (which is why I included the gmats)

• Like 1

International, but will graduate from an American university with major in economics

GRE 800 540

GPA: 3.7 Econs: 3.7 Maths 3.8

Maths: Cal 1,2,3, Foundation of Maths, Linear Algebra, Adavanced Linear, Advanced Cal, Topology, ODE, Intro Stas, Times Series/Linear Regression

Econs: Intermediate Macro, Micro, Math Econs, Econometric (get B in this course :()

Recommedation: Two from my current professors, and one from an research advisor in another institution whom I work with during summers. They are all expected to be good.

Teaching Experience: Tutor for some maths, econs but that does not count anyway

Research: Writing Senior Thesis Paper

SOP: have done for some school, but still have to change a little bit for others

Schools Applied:

Washington at St. Louis

CMU

Penn State

Syracuse

Hopkins

Univ of Missouri

Univ of Georgia

Umass

SUNY-Albany

For a geogrpahic preference, I really want to stay in ST. LOUIS :D

• Like 1

GRE: 800 800 5.5

GPA: 9.41/10 (1st of my class)

International applicant

Math: 4 maths for economists (calculus, lin alg, diff equations and optimization), also a pure maths course (Set Theory) and have audited Real Analysis.

Econ: 4 micros, 4 macros, 3 entrepreneurial econ, Institutional Econ, International Trade, History of Economic Thought, Monetary Theory, Public Finance, Economic Development, International Finance and Topics of Economic Theory, 3 seminars of economic research.

SOP: Hoping it's not too saccharine

LORs: One great LOR from the head of my dept, two that I expect to be very good.

Two years as TA, one year as RA.

Applying: most of top-15

• Like 1

GRE: 770 410 5.0

GMAT: 710 (not that matters)

Undergrad: Economics (top all years, scholarships, awards etc)

International applicant

Math: grad. degree in math with the equivalent of "distinction"

(Math Stats & Probability I &II, Analysis, Optimization, Multivariate Analysis, Linear Algebra, Diff Equations, Math Methods etc) Did some reading of Functional Analysis, Topology and Measure Theory.

Econ: MA in Economics (now) at top Canadian Univ (taking PhD courses)

2 years RA, 1 year TA

SOP: read and polished by top profs in my school

LORs: 1 great LOR from the head of my undergrad, 1 great from analysis prof and 1 (apparently) strong from MA prof.

Applying to:

my profs recommended:

2 schools in "big 5"

2 schools in top 10,

1 school in top 15

2 schools in top15-25,

2 schools in Canada (~top 30)

American

GRE: 800/730

GPA: 3.99 (4.0 math)

Undergrad: Math/Econ--

Math: Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, intro to proofs, Linear Optimization, Probability, Statistics, Analysis I, Set Theory, Topology,diff eqs,[Next Semester = differential geometry, more analysis, more linear algebra]

Econ: Nothing Special

Research: currently writing senior thesis

LORs: No idea. My professors encouraged me to apply to the best, though.

Applying: 9 of the top 15.

Predictions: Across the board rejections

• Like 1

My Profile:

International

UG: Top 25 LAC, CGPA 3.6/4.0, Economics and Mathematics GPA 3.8/4.0

Grad: Top School in UK. MSc. Finance and Econ. 63 average - which translates to roughly top 20% of the class.

GRE: 800q/710v/770a (2001) and 800q/710/?a (2005) - yes, exact same scores.

Work Experience: 3 years junior research position at the biggest international development agency.

Research: UG independent study, MSc thesis, and two "country-specific" papers which I must say are empirical and without any "finding" that would remotely be considered earth shattering.

Interests: Political economy, macro, public, development.

Applying to: KSG (Pub Pol), WWS ( Poli Econ), Chicago (Harris), Yale (Poli Sci), Berkeley, Maryland, Minnesota and Cornell all applied econ. and finally, BU, Wisconsin, Virginia and Georgetown for orthodox Econ.

Am I shortselling myself?

Forgot to include the "math" background:

UG - Calculus (II, III), Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations, Stochastic Calculus, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics and Financial mathematics. No analysis. No abstract algebra.

Grad - Stochastic Calculus and "Mathematics for Economists" in a month long grad bootcamp.

• Like 1

Domestic

Undergrad: Respectful private university with a relatively small undergrad population (Great Econ Dept).

Majors: Economics (3.98/4.00) and Math (3.80?/4.00)

GRE: 800q/690v/4.5

Related Experience: RA for an econ professor for one year, one year econ tutor, one year in the Econ Research Dept at the Federal Reserve

Not so Related Experience: A couple of years as an investment banker

LOR: All from my college mentors (All econ profs), I would say that they are adequate. Apparently my mentors see more potential in me than I see in myself.

No Grad School Experience (Other than first year micro and macro Ph.D courses during my final year in college)

No Publication

No outside scholarship

No academic awards (other than graduating with honors, and oh yeah, I was a national merit back in high school, but I doubt that matters)

My list (in order of preference):

Stanford (In the process of applying)

Harvard (Was told to apply by one of my mentors as a "hedge." Yeah, some hedge! Still debating whether to apply.)

MIT (Might not apply because my mom said its campus is ugly.)

University of Chicago (Debating whether to apply. I absolutely love that school, but all my mentors and my family have advised me not to attend unless I have no other options, including continue to be an investment banker)

Princeton (It's top 5, I know very little about it, so might not apply)

"Safety Schools": None (Unless you call U of Chicago and Harvard "Safety Schools.")

Comments welcome!

Quick update, I have submitted my application to Stanford!:tup: :D

Update: I think I'm done with all my applications. By that, I mean I don't plan to apply to any school other than Stanford. I still have quite some time to change my mind of course. Anyone else out there submitted their applications by now?

GRE: 800 math, 560 verbal

UNC-Chapel Hill

GPA: 3.85 overall

Math: Calc I (got B first semester of college but then took again junior year and got an A) Calc II (A) Calc III (A-) Linear Algebra (A) Econometrics (A) Stat Methods I (A-) Stat Methods II (A)

4.0 econ gpa (8 classes)

Teaching Assistant for a year

Honors Thesis

Research Assistant for a semester in college

Research Assistant at the Fed

Recommendation letters from 1 distinguished professor and 2 senior professors

Not really sure where to apply

thinking maybe somewhere like purdue?

GRE : 800/650/5.5 Q/V/AWA

Gpa : 3.655, Math ~3.3, Econ 3.85 Econ/Math double major

American

Currently in UK masters econ.

Math Major: Calc I-III(A,B), Linear Algebra(A), Diff Eq(B), Real Analysis(BC), Prob Theory (A), Dynamic Systems (A), Applied Linear Algebra(A), Stoch Proc ©.

Econ Major: The usual suspects, Stats(AB), Econometrics(A), Intermediate macro/micro, money and banking, financial system, international trade and finance, research seminar

Research : Research Asst (funded by undergraduate award) on published paper (not author). Research Asst to Math prof on Computational Neuroscience project (some time-series stuff) to be published at some point, but just a poster right now at conference in summer 2006.

LORs : 1 from each of professors I did research with above (1 econ and 1 math prof), can get two from current MSc school.

Schools : Harvard, Berkely, UCSD, Yale, Princeton,UW-Madison,Maryland, NWU, JHU, Columbia, LSE - not necessarily in that order.

• 2 weeks later...

My Profile:

Canadian

UG: Economics + Social Science double major, ~90% average, ~95% in Econ; school ranked in the 150-250 range in econ depending on where you look

GRE: 800q/630v/?

Research: Major paper on an applied topic

LORs: from profs who supervised my major paper

Econ courses: semester long courses in math-econ (x3), micro (x4), macro (x3), metrics (x2), + development, trade,

Math courses: Calc 2 (mediocre mark); taking linear algebra, advanced calc; + math-econ courses

Applying to: UBC, U of T, Queens, LSE (MA/MSc); maybe US schools depending on whether I have a shot or not (thoughts appreciated)

Fields: development, international economics

GRE: 800Q, 650V, 5.5AWA

GPA: 3.76/4.0 at a very highly regarded, non-Ivy private school

Major: Mathematical Economics

Demographics: American, female (profs say this matters, we'll see)

LORs: One from a mathematical economics professor/undergraduate adviser, another from a statistics prof with whom I did research, a last from a respected prof in my field. All will be good.

Econ classes: Tons of them, with grades better than my overall GPA.

Math classes: Single variable calc I and II (in high school), ODE, multivariable calc, linear algebra. Grades worse than my overall GPA.

Stat classes: Probability and statistics, econometrics, computational finance, statistical modeling (grad). Grades about like my overall grades, plus research in computational finance.

Research: The aforementioned stat, plus I'm working on a senior thesis in labor economics right now. Also am currently taking graduate intro micro (department is probably top-50).

Interests: Applied micro of all sorts...health, education, labor, etc.

Applying to: Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Chicago, Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota...maybe some other backup-type places.

Other: I've done a lot of other things as an undergrad. I'm hoping to use this stuff to show I'm not just a grade-grubber and that I have unrealized potential...while at the same time seeming completely devoted to the field. Haven't quite figured out how to do that yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

please evaluate my chances:

international applicant

gre: 780q, 590v(i know it is pathetic:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: )

university:prestigious national univ

cgpa: 7.75 on a scale of 9(in the first year of masters programme , on the basis of which am applying)

class standing: 2nd, the topper in the batch has 7.82

awards: received the ford foundation scholorship for outstanding performance in 2 consecutive semesters in MA programme.

maths: courses in linear algebra, real analysis, advaned calculus, optimizationetc, and have advanced econometrics as an elective in the current semester.

summer project: at a national institute under a reputed central bank economist for 2 months(dunno if this will count)

recos: econometrics prof(very reputed), mathematics prof, and 2 more profs(with degrees from mit and smu)..i am assured of very good recos from them.

applying to:

1. university of maryland

2. university of texas at austin

3.texas a&m university

4.boston univ.

5.u penn

will apply to 2-3 more.

please evaluate my chances, as i have almost screwe d up my gre..i did very well in game theory , ana mathematics papers in MA, and am assured of excellent recomendation from the mathematics prof.could that help my case??

please advise:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Verb : 570 or 670

Awa : 5.5

Gpa :

Overall : 3.90

Math : 3.92

Econ : 3.95

Domestic

Math : Calc I-III, Ordinary Differential Equations, Actuarial Math I & II, Stats I & II, Real Analysis I & II, Linear Algebra, Intro to Proofs, and something else.

Econ : Micro, Macro, Financial, Trade, Math Analysis, Econometrics, GT, Research Design, TAship, and some other class.

Research : Doing the thesis and perhaps a 2nd paper

TA : Calc TA & Econ Stats TA

LORs : Trade Teacher, Math/Econ Teacher & Chairman of Math dept

Schools I apply to: MIT, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, PSU, Washington U, U Virginia, Stanford, U of M, Ohio State, U of Rochester, U of Maryland, NWU, and Duke

With the exception of MIT, Stanford and Princeton, I already know where I'll get in for the most part :tup:

• Like 1

My profile - weak math background pre-warning !

GRE Q: 800; V: 610; AWA: 4.0;

Master in Economics of Development in the Netherlands (in an higher education institute - not well-known in economic circle)

GPA: 85/100; got merit award and master thesis paper distinction (ranked 2/22 in the economic department)

Bachelor in Business Administration in Vietnam;

GPA: 7.7/10; about top 10% of the university

Math background : merely meeting requirements. up to mutivariable calculus + linear algrebra

Economics: a lot and a lot; 3 econometric courses at graduate levels

SOP: can hardly say

LORs: very good - but not from wel-known profs.

Research background: master thesis + years of research assistant + some researchs at national level.

Targeting: top20-40.

Please comment on my profiles. What's impact of my weak math backgound? What's impact of my low AWA? Chances of getting in with aid? let's be frank ;)

My fields are institutional economics, growth and developement.

International

GRE: 800Q, 770V, 4.5AWA

GPA:

Under(econ major, international): 3.8

Graduate(econ, international): 4.0

Another Graduate(MPA, top US school): 3.8

Econ : a lot.. including phd level courses

Math: few, :hmm:

but many graduate level econ courses I took required advanced math

Research : a lot of research assistant experiences, MA thesis

TA : int'l econ TA

SOP : ?

LORs : from (top 3) US public policy school, but econ professors. One strong:rolleyes: letter from really well-known econ professor (worked as a TA and RA), one good letter from also well-known econ prof, one mediocre letter from a professor who just got tenure + maybe one more from home country

Schools : Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton, NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, U of Maryland, NWU, Minnesota, Duke, BC, UCSC, Georgewashington

am i applying to too high-ranking schools?

International

Verb : 600

Awa : 4

Gpa : 9 (1-10)

Domestic

Math : Calc I-II, Linear Algebra, Stats I & II, financial calc, game Theory, economic's math.

Econ : Macro I-II, MicroI-II, Financial Econ(A), Int economics, Game Theory, Econometrics I-II, economic history, economic politics.

Research : Doing the thesis, and doing a RA.

TA : Intenational Econ TA

SOP : My SOP is a SOP.

LORs : 2 from econ and 1 from the math dept. .

Schools : top 5-10

Do I have any possibility to be addmitted with a full scholarships(tuition, room and board)???

Do you reccomend me to make a MA before aplying?

Does the AWA grade is very important?

Thank u for your time.

GRE: 780Q 560V 5AW

GPA 3.71 double major in econ and math

full calc series, 2 linear algebra courses,prob theory, math stat, topology,real analysis(currently taking)

Undergrad at a top 20 school for econ 4 LOR from senior faculty one now at a top 5 school, one who is fellow econometric society, fellow national academy of arts and sciences etc. . .

no research TA'd two undergrad econ classes

Applying to: Princeton, Yale, Upenn, mich, minn,cornell,duke,UMD,UVA,WUSTL

Its a pretty wide range I suppose I think a lot depends on how good my LOR are, it could be a big bonus if the letters are good though.

Wow, everyone one here has great credentials. I'm applying this year and it looks like all of you will get in ahead of me. With that said, can anyone that has an idea of how admissions work give me there opinion on where they think I may get in? Here are my stats:

GRE: 790 M, 620 V, 5.5 AWA

GPA: Only 3.3/4.0 (I did go to a top Ivy League school but I doubt that will help me too much) with not too much math. I wrote and did well on my thesis.

LOR: One associate professor, one pretty well known professor, one foreign professor who I worked for last summer.

I want to focus on development and would love to go to Berkeley, even though I know that won't happen. I am applying to some of the top programs just so I don't regret it later but where do you think I could realistically get in? I really like Boston and wouldn't mind going to BU or BC either. Any shot there? Thanks for any input.

Objective: Phd in Economics

my profile

I am a chinese student graduating Dec 2005 Bachelor of Business administration, majoring in Economics from one university in Atlantic Canada.

GPA: 3.7/4.3 Econ course GPA: 4.0/4.3

GRE : V: 580 Q: 800 AW: 4.5

Econ courses taken: 4 macro courses including one graduate level course using a textbook by david romer; 3 micro; 1 labor econ; 1 econometrics; 1 maths econ; 1 game theory( all round A level).

Math courses: two calculus and two statistics ( all round A level)

Two mgt science courses and two finance courses ( I do not know how it is related to my application

I completed my degree within 30 months, got my last 26 courses done by half a year (six courses for two terms and 7 courses for two terms).

TA in this term for two intermediate courses around 120 students (4 months)

Research interest: econ development and macroecon

NO research done during the undergraduate studies(It did not leave much time to do research with any professors within 30 months of undergraduate studies)

LORs from two canadian professors who have a good alumni network with the faculty members in top canadian universities.

Final list of universities

IU, Bloomington

Purdue U

UC, davis

UIowa

Iowa state U

GWU

three canadian universities which rank after UT, UBC, QU

How do adcoms value my early graduation within 30 months in my application? Or they do not like a workalcoholic like me. They only favor the most gifted ones.

How is my chance of getting into these universities above with financial aid?

CURIOUS APPLICANT:

I graduated with similar stats as you, although i was nowhere near an ivy. I too want to focus on development. I had math weak math as well, calc 1, 2, linear algebra, prob theory, econometrics

we had similar GPAs as well. my main plus is that I had over a year of RA experience, which lead to GREAT LORs. Professors also helped me draft my SOP.

I applied to 29 (count em, 29) phd programs, all here in the US, and got accepted to 3. (good enough for me). The progams the accpeted me ranked around 30-35, so not too bad considering the horrible gpa and weak math. WORD OF WARNING: I am dying here in the first year of the econ phd program cuz the math is just grueling, and it makes a whole lot of sense now why you need at LEAST 3 semesters of calc, some matrix background, and some analysis, otherwise you will have NO Idea what you're doin, even if you DO get in somewhere.

As for berkeley, its not happening, you might have a slight chance with BC, but for the record, i got rejected from them....

GOOD LUCK

and to all those T-magicians, im back, and will offer as much help as i can from having done all this last year.... (AND probably will do it again next year as i reapply with a masters)

• Like 1