Urch Forums

Ph.d. in public policy

Explorer

Hi guys,

Since public policy is very much related to econ, I just wanted to ask these questions. First, how quantitative do you guys think the Ph.D. in public policy curriculum would be (since a lack of real analysis and a low quant score might work against me)? Second, does anybody know how the academic world and the labor market treats Public Policy Ph.D.s? Thanks a bunch!

Explorer, it's harsh, but policy PhDs are not received as well as econ PhDs. Generally, someone with a PhD in economics can teach in either an economics or policy department, but someone with a PhD in policy can teach only in a policy school. That really cuts down on the academic job options for policy PhDs.

Policy schools vary in the required cirriculum, and in how much of it is taught as separate courses in the policy school versus cross listings with other departments (econ, polisci, and sociology). Requirements also vary depending on your intended focus -- some schools require students focusing on economic policy to take first year econ courses. Others allow policy students to take econ and stats courses designed for policy masters students. But some statistics -- above the level of undergrad statistics -- is almost always required.

Hi guys,

Since public policy is very much related to econ, I just wanted to ask these questions. First, how quantitative do you guys think the Ph.D. in public policy curriculum would be (since a lack of real analysis and a low quant score might work against me)? Second, does anybody know how the academic world and the labor market treats Public Policy Ph.D.s? Thanks a bunch!

Explorer - depends on the quality of the department. Most "good" Policy depts will at least require the first year econometrics & micro series that Econ PhD programs do.

It isn't AS quant intensive as Econ programs are, but good policy programs still expect a solid quant background.

The professor I worked with this summer got a ph.d in public policy at Chicago. He currently works at Georgia State University. He strongly encouraged me to not apply to ph.d programs in public policy as it limits your options after graduation. As he said, the Chicago name kept a lot of lower level universities from considering him ("oh, he won't want to come here") while the upper level schools didn't want him because he was public policy instead of economics. Being at Chicago, however, allowed him to take some econ courses from the econ department there, which isn't too shabby.

On the other hand, an upper-level public policy program, which you could get into, might be able to give you more options than the lower-rank economics programs that you could get into.