Urch Forums

Ranking Outside of top-100

Markos

Hi guys,

I am just wondering, if one gets acceptance and funding at two Econ Ph.D. programs ranked below 100, should he/she worry about ranking? In other words, should this person make their decision about where to go based on rankings or other criteria?

Markos

Comparing two schools in one rankings tier is pretty hard. If we assumed ranking tiers broke up into something like the top 1-4 schools, the top 5-12, the top 12-25, 26-50, 51-80, 81-150, 151+, then to compare schools within a tier, it is much more important to look at the particular field you are interested in. But since chances are that your field of interest will shift slightly (or significantly), I'd look at other things, too. So beyond 100, I wouldn't worry about differences in overall rankings less than 50-75 places.

Hi guys,

I am just wondering, if one gets acceptance and funding at two Econ Ph.D. programs ranked below 100, should he/she worry about ranking? In other words, should this person make their decision about where to go based on rankings or other criteria?

Markos

I can't see the overall ranking of the schools mattering much at all. I would suggest going to the one which is a better fit in terms of research interests. Perhaps the ranking of the schools in your area of interest could be relevant, since if one school is significantly higher in rank, this would possibly signal that there are a couple good researchers in your field. (Don't look at the ranking - look at the numbers that go into determining the ranking. You'll see that below 100, the numbers are very very close, so in essence, the schools are very close as well.)

In the end, all that matters in terms of job placement is the quality of your job market paper, and this is heavily influenced by the quality of your advisor(s).

one should also remember that job placement for top 100 and below programs is very tough, so be sure to place importance on the geographic location of the university you attend...from what i see, grad from lower ranked schools tend to stay in their respective geographic region for academic placements....if you want to work private sector, then a university near a city with plenty of jobs would be a good bet too.