Urch Forums

Thoughts on Ag Econ MS Schools

Bundt Cake

Hey all,

I was on this board a while ago and finally got out of what I was doing and am again looking into MS-level Ag / Resource Econ programs (possibly to continue onto a PhD).

I'm going to apply to the following:

Ohio State

Michigan State

U Cal Berkeley (Long shot school)

U Maryland - College Park

OSU and MSU both have strong int'l ag / development programs (which I'm interested in Latin America - I'm fluent in Spanish)

My question is this: I've seen on the web graduates of OSU and MSU as faculty at other universities, but I've never encountered a U Maryland Ag Econ grad as faculty anywhere else - am I just looking in the wrong place?

As http://www.econphd.net ranks U Maryland high - where are all of these graduates going? Is it truly a top school as the website would indicate?

Thanks,

'Cake

Hi Bundt: I have posted on this earlier, so I will simply recreate that here. I am partial to Maryland for obvious reasons (I was a faculty member there for 4 years). I have a few thoughts that you might wish to consider, however. First, I think it helps to have a strong economics department alongside the arec department that you choose. Berkeley comes to mind here as the strongest, though Maryland and some others on your list are quite strong too.

Second, you should consider what you want to do after graduating. If you want to stay in academe, then it seems like Berkeley has very good placement, and I think that Maryland does OK in this area too though not as good as Berkeley. Maryland has clear ties in DC if you want to that route.

Third, for econometrics Maryland is quite strong. I like Marc Nerlove (Maryland again!) alot, and Richard Just and Anna Alberini are good too. Of course many of your other schools have wonderful econometricians as well.

Fourth, yet I cannot think of any place in the world stronger than the group at Maryland for Ag (OK, call me a homer). Bruce Gardner, Bob Chambers, Just, Liechtenberg, Lynch, etc., and they added a very good young guy named Barrett Kirwan who is an excellent applied econometrician from MIT.

In any event, you should do your due diligence and decide who you can work with at these places and make sure that they find you of interest as well. The places that you note are excellent too. You should also think about Iowa State, Madison, Cornell, and Davis (All excellent with no signs of letting up).

Best,

JL

PS Last UMD comment--check out their "n reasons to attend Maryland on their website."

Jlist,

Thanks for the input. At this point I'm only looking as far as the MS. I'd do the thesis option so that I'd have the option to continue on, but I might stop at the MS and do private industy / government.

Actually, I'm doing some research right now that could turn into a thesis if I end up going where I'm working...

I have checked out the n reasons to go to MD. It is a very attractive school - I just had never really heard of it - but I'm still a layman in the Econ industry.

Hi Bundt: If there is a reasonable probability that you will leave after an MS (I disregarded that part of the previous message on the ground that once you start a program you will fall in love and stay for a phd!), then UMD is really the best choice. Access to downtown is a big big deal for jobs. UMD has that in spades.

Best,

JL

• Like 1