Urch Forums

What's the point of the GRE?

PriceTheory

It seems like both the people who are admitted and the people who are rejected by the top 20 econ Ph.D. programs have good GRE quantitative scores. Do any schools really make decisions based on the GRE?

Since they all require at least college-level calculus and statistics, why do they ask for your score on an exam that tests only high school math?

I agree that the math required for the GRE is stuff that was learned in high school. However, I disagree that it is these simple math concepts that the GRE is testing. It tests the ability to look at a problem one has never seen before and complete it quickly and correctly. Basic problem solving skills like these are absolutely necessary for graduate school. Unfortunately, they are not something that every graduate school applicant possesses. (Albeit a small and decreasing fraction of people, but still.)

Cynically, though, the GRE is a nice way of justifying not looking at half of the applications that are received.

I am taking it tomorrow and have done a lot of practice. Its been awhile since I've seen a question that I can't do, but I still keep making the occassional stupid mistake.

It seems like the direction of my life depends on whether I make zero, one or two of these mistakes tomorrow. I guess I'm sort of resigned to that fact.

I am taking it tomorrow and have done a lot of practice. Its been awhile since I've seen a question that I can't do, but I still keep making the occassional stupid mistake.

It seems like the direction of my life depends on whether I make zero, one or two of these mistakes tomorrow. I guess I'm sort of resigned to that fact.

Good luck! The GRE was one of the most stressful few hours of my life. I, too, am not a big fan of how three small algebraic errors can effectively be more important than five years of undergraduate grades. Nevertheless, we've gotta play our Nash equilibrium strategies, and I hope you do well!

I think Antichron is on the right track. My take would be that in part, the GRE acts as a reality check on grades. Adcoms aren't familiar with the grading practices at the universities every applicant attended for undergrad or masters programs. Seeing really high grades coupled with really low GRE scores may make the adcom suspicious that the school had low standards or lax grading.

Also, though the GRE quantitative section doesn't seem to use the math that is part of graduate economics, I believe that Krueger's research on the determinants of success in econ PhD programs found that GRE scores were actually significant predictors of success on the job market! See the paper here. The authors don't take a firm stance on why the scores matter.

My understanding is that the GRE quant section is being revised starting next fall. Supposedly it is going to be more difficult now.

This could be good news for applicants who didn't go to prestigious undergrads. Perhaps a high GRE score will actually help applicants stand out. (As it is now, getting a high GRE score is sort of like not having a felony conviction -- it's a necessary condition for getting accepted, but it doesn't really help you that much.)

• Like 2